Église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem - Vue 3D

Église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem - Vue 3D


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Image 3D

Le site de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem est identifié comme le lieu à la fois de la crucifixion et du tombeau de Jésus de Nazareth. L'église a longtemps été un important centre de pèlerinage pour les chrétiens du monde entier. La consécration et la construction de l'église ont commencé au 4ème siècle de notre ère.

Soutenez notreOrganisation à but non lucratif

Notre Site est une organisation à but non lucratif. Pour seulement 5 $ par mois, vous pouvez devenir membre et soutenir notre mission d'impliquer les personnes ayant un patrimoine culturel et d'améliorer l'enseignement de l'histoire dans le monde entier.


L'église du Saint-Sépulcre est l'un des lieux les plus saints de Jérusalem depuis que le Christ a été exécuté et enterré sur son site. Aleteia a récemment publié une mise à jour sur la recherche sur le des milliers de croix gravées sur les murs à l'intérieur du bâtiment.

C'est une caractéristique qui a été reproduite par les moines franciscains, qui ont fait des maquettes en bois de l'église pour les pèlerins. La principale différence est qu'ils ont créé l'apparence d'une multitude de croix à l'extérieur de leurs modèles. À l'aide de nacre, ils ont incrusté ces formes pour créer un effet sacré et animer l'apparence de l'extérieur. En réalité, l'extérieur de l'église est en pierre plate.

Ces menuisiers experts étaient cohérents dans leur utilisation d'une forme de quadrilobe plutôt que du mélange de styles de croix trouvés à l'intérieur. Cet exemple du XVIIIe siècle a attiré l'attention du fondateur du British Museum, Sir John Soane, qui était un collectionneur passionné de presque tout. Sa maison est un musée public qui a été laissé exactement tel qu'il était de son vivant. Étant l'architecte le plus célèbre de son époque, il aimait sans aucun doute la façon dont le toit du modèle pouvait être retiré pour inspecter l'intérieur.

Soane ne semble pas avoir voyagé plus à l'est que l'Italie, il n'aurait donc pas vu les autres marchandises fabriquées en Terre Sainte sous la supervision des Franciscains. Inutile de dire qu'il y avait beaucoup d'autres souvenirs disponibles pour les pèlerins. Cette croix pectorale du XIXe siècle reprend le même dessin de trèfle en nacre que sur le modèle de l'église. Cela aurait été beaucoup plus facile à transporter ou à porter sur le chemin du retour. Le modèle en bois du British Museum mesure plus de 16 pouces de large et est très lourd.

Le Musée virtuel de la Croix

Cette croix pectorale provient de la collection du Musée de la Croix, la première institution consacrée à la diversité du symbole le plus puissant et le plus étendu de l'histoire. Après 10 ans de préparation, le musée était presque prêt à ouvrir puis vint COVID-19. En attendant, le musée virtuel lance un compte Instagram pour échanger avec les lecteurs d'Aleteia et les histoires de leurs propres crucifix : @crossXmuseum


Un regard à l'intérieur du tombeau du Christ

Les gens font la queue pour visiter l'Edicule rénové, le sanctuaire qui abrite ce que l'on pense être le tombeau du Christ.

Plusieurs échantillons de mortier provenant de différents endroits dans l'Edicule ont été prélevés à ce moment-là pour la datation, et les résultats ont été récemment fournis à National Geographic par la superviseure scientifique en chef Antonia Moropoulou, qui a dirigé le projet de restauration de l'Edicule.

Lorsque les représentants de Constantin sont arrivés à Jérusalem vers 325 pour localiser le tombeau, ils auraient été signalés à un temple romain construit quelque 200 ans plus tôt. Le temple romain a été rasé et les fouilles en dessous ont révélé une tombe taillée dans une grotte calcaire. Le sommet de la grotte a été cisaillé pour exposer l'intérieur de la tombe et l'édicule a été construit autour.

Une caractéristique de la tombe est une longue étagère, ou "lit funéraire", qui, selon la tradition, était l'endroit où le corps de Jésus-Christ a été déposé après la crucifixion. De telles étagères et niches, creusées dans des grottes calcaires, sont une caractéristique courante dans les tombes de riches Juifs de Jérusalem du 1er siècle.

Le revêtement en marbre qui recouvre le "lit funéraire" aurait été installé au plus tard en 1555 et était très probablement présent depuis le milieu des années 1300, selon les récits des pèlerins.

Lorsque la tombe a été ouverte dans la nuit du 26 octobre 2016, les scientifiques ont été surpris par ce qu'ils ont trouvé sous le revêtement en marbre : une dalle de marbre plus ancienne et cassée incisée d'une croix, reposant directement sur la surface calcaire d'origine du "lit funéraire". "

Certains chercheurs ont émis l'hypothèse que cette dalle plus ancienne pourrait avoir été posée à l'époque des Croisés, tandis que d'autres ont proposé une date antérieure, suggérant qu'elle était peut-être déjà en place et cassée lorsque l'église a été détruite en 1009. Personne, cependant, n'était prêt affirmer qu'il pourrait s'agir de la première preuve physique du premier sanctuaire romain sur le site.

Est-ce vraiment le tombeau du Christ ?

Les nouveaux résultats des tests, qui révèlent que la dalle inférieure a très probablement été cimentée en place au milieu du IVe siècle sous les ordres de l'empereur Constantin, sont une surprise bienvenue pour ceux qui étudient l'histoire du monument sacré.

"De toute évidence, cette date est parfaite pour tout ce que Constantine a fait", déclare l'archéologue Martin Biddle, qui a publié une étude fondamentale sur l'histoire de la tombe en 1999. "C'est très remarquable."

Au cours de leur année de restauration de l'édicule, les scientifiques ont également pu déterminer qu'une quantité importante de la grotte funéraire restait enfermée dans les murs du sanctuaire. Des échantillons de mortier prélevés sur les vestiges de la paroi sud de la grotte ont été datés de 335 et 1570, ce qui fournit des preuves supplémentaires de travaux de construction de la période romaine, ainsi qu'une restauration documentée du XVIe siècle. Le mortier prélevé à l'entrée de la tombe est daté du XIe siècle et concorde avec la reconstruction de l'Édicule après sa destruction en 1009.

"Il est intéressant de voir comment [ces] mortiers fournissent non seulement des preuves du premier sanctuaire sur le site, mais confirment également la séquence de construction historique de l'édicule", observe Moropoulou.

Les échantillons de mortier ont été datés indépendamment dans deux laboratoires distincts à l'aide de la luminescence stimulée optiquement (OSL), une technique qui détermine à quel moment le sédiment de quartz a été le plus récemment exposé à la lumière. Les résultats scientifiques seront publiés par Moropoulou et son équipe dans un prochain numéro du Journal of Archaeological Science: Rapports.


L'imagerie 3D met en lumière les « graffitis » du Saint-Sépulcre

Des milliers de croix uniques gravées sur les murs de l'église la plus sacrée du christianisme ont longtemps déconcerté les chercheurs.

Mais l'imagerie tridimensionnelle a fait la lumière sur les marques mystérieuses, effectuées lors des rénovations de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre de Jérusalem.

Ce qui a toujours été supposé être des graffitis semble être quelque chose de « plus organisé », selon Amit Re'em, l'archéologue régional de Jérusalem à l'Autorité des antiquités d'Israël.

"Ce que nous avons vu avec la machinerie optique, nous avons cartographié les croix à l'intérieur et nous avons vu qu'elles ont toutes la même profondeur et même le marquage du maçon. Donc si vous regardez ces milliers de croix, je peux dire très attentivement parce que nous ne sommes qu'au début de la recherche que peut-être des artistes à deux ou trois mains ont fait ces croix. Ce n'est pas un pèlerin. Seulement trois mains d'artistes. Donc ce n'est pas un graffiti, c'est quelque chose de plus organisé de l'église. »

La nouvelle théorie est que les maçons médiévaux ont peut-être été payés par les pèlerins visitant le site pour sculpter les murs…

vénéré dans la tradition chrétienne comme le lieu de la crucifixion et de l'enterrement de Jésus.

"Disons que vous êtes un pèlerin arménien qui a visité la chapelle d'Hélène, dans le Saint-Sépulcre, alors vous payez quelque chose au prêtre, vous payez quelque chose à cet artiste spécial et il a sculpté pour vous, pour le bien de votre âme et de votre âmes de parents, il a sculpté pour vous une croix spéciale dans le lieu le plus sacré du christianisme sur terre et c'est tout. C'est, de notre point de vue, l'explication de ces phénomènes uniques."

La chapelle est normalement animée de fidèles et de membres du clergé, ce qui rend généralement difficile l'étude des marques - qui sont provisoirement datées du XVe siècle.

Mais la majeure partie de l'année dernière a été vide de visiteurs, offrant aux archéologues une opportunité unique de recherche.

Le père Samuel Aghoyan est le supérieur arménien de l'église.

Tout en saluant les recherches qui mettent en lumière les pèlerins du passé, il se réjouit d'accueillir à nouveau leurs contemporains.

"Maintenant, il n'y a pas de pèlerins ici, pourtant leur esprit est là, nous le savons, j'y crois. Mais leur absence est quelque chose d'autre qui ne peut être remplacé par rien d'autre. Nous avons besoin de leur présence, je prie Dieu que les difficultés que nous


Église du Saint-Sépulcre

L'église du Saint-Sépulcre est une église du quartier chrétien de la vieille ville de Jérusalem, à quelques pas du Muristan. L'église contient, selon des traditions remontant au moins au IVe siècle, les deux sites les plus saints du christianisme : le site où Jésus de Nazareth a été crucifié, au lieu-dit &aposCalvary&apos ou &aposGolgotha&apos, et le tombeau vide de Jésus&aposs, où il est dit avoir été enterré et ressuscité. Le tombeau est entouré d'un sanctuaire du XVIIIe siècle, appelé l'Édicule. Les Status Quo, une entente vieille de 250 ans entre les communautés religieuses, s'applique au site.

Dans l'église proprement dite se trouvent les quatre dernières stations de la Via Dolorosa, représentant les derniers épisodes de la Passion de Jésus. L'église est une destination de pèlerinage chrétienne majeure depuis sa création au IVe siècle, en tant que site traditionnel de la résurrection du Christ, d'où son nom grec d'origine, église de l'Anastasis.

Aujourd'hui, le complexe plus vaste accumulé au cours des siècles autour de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre sert également de siège au patriarche grec orthodoxe de Jérusalem, tandis que le contrôle de l'église elle-même est partagé entre plusieurs confessions chrétiennes et entités laïques dans des arrangements compliqués essentiellement inchangés pour plus de 160 ans, et certains depuis bien plus longtemps.

Malgré les mutilations des siècles, le Saint-Sépulcre reste un fascinant complexe de structures et est d'une importance clé pour plusieurs phases de l'histoire architecturale médiévale, des imitations étant construites dans toute l'Europe. Aujourd'hui, l'église du Saint-Sépulcre est l'un des principaux monuments de Jérusalem et continue d'attirer de nombreux pèlerins et visiteurs.

Histoire

La première communauté chrétienne de Jérusalem semble avoir organisé des célébrations liturgiques sur la tombe du Christ depuis la résurrection jusqu'à la prise de la ville par les Romains en 66 après JC. Le site est resté enterré sous le temple païen jusqu'à ce que l'empereur Constantin le Grand se convertisse au christianisme en 312 après JC. Il montra bientôt un intérêt pour les lieux saints associés à sa nouvelle foi et commanda la construction de nombreuses églises dans toute la Terre Sainte. La plus importante d'entre elles, l'église du Saint-Sépulcre, a été commencée en 326 après JC. L'église constantinienne était beaucoup plus grande que celle qui existe aujourd'hui, mais avait une disposition plus simple. Il se composait d'un atrium, d'une basilique couverte, d'une cour ouverte avec la pierre du Golgotha ​​dans le coin sud-est et du tombeau du Christ, enchâssé dans un petit édifice circulaire.

En 614, une armée perse détruisit l'église et la Vraie Croix fut emportée, mais en 631 l'empereur byzantin Héraclius négocia son retour. En 638, les chrétiens ont été contraints de céder Jérusalem au contrôle musulman sous le calife Omar. L'église a continué à fonctionner comme une église chrétienne sous la protection d'Omar et des premiers dirigeants musulmans, mais cela a changé en 1009, lorsque le calife fatimide Hakim a brutalement et systématiquement détruit la grande église. L'empereur byzantin Constantin IX Monomaque (1042-1055) a financé sa reconstruction, mais sur un plan différent, avec l'entrée du côté sud.

La conquête des lieux saints, dont le premier était le Saint-Sépulcre, fut une motivation importante pour la première croisade entre 1096 et 1099. Au cours du demi-siècle suivant, l'église de Constantin IX Monomaque fut en grande partie reconstruite. La nouvelle église a été reconsacrée en 1149 et c'est l'église que nous voyons essentiellement aujourd'hui.

Certaines caractéristiques de l'église médiévale ne sont plus visibles - par exemple, les tombeaux des premiers souverains, Godefroy de Bouillon et Baudouin I, qui ont été enlevés au début du XIXe siècle lorsque les Grecs effectuaient des travaux de restauration. Tous les rois de Jérusalem jusqu'en 1187 (à l'exception de la reine Melisende) ont été enterrés dans la chapelle du Calvaire.

Comme le révèlent des cartes du XIIe siècle, le Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem était le foyer spirituel de la chrétienté et son centre de pèlerinage le plus important. L'église a été aménagée pour permettre aux pèlerins de se déplacer de chapelle en chapelle, leur visite culminant au Saint-Sépulcre lui-même.


Photo, impression, dessin Vue sur la rue avec l'église du Saint-Sépulcre, Jérusalem / Frith.

Pour obtenir des conseils sur la compilation de citations complètes, consultez Citing Primary Sources.

  • Avis sur les droits: Aucune restriction connue sur la publication.
  • Numéro de reproduction: LC-USZC4-8598 (transparence de copie de film couleur)
  • Numéro de téléphone: Illus. dans DS108.5 .F7 (Cas Y) [P&P]
  • Avis d'accès: ---

Obtention de copies

Si une image s'affiche, vous pouvez la télécharger vous-même. (Certaines images s'affichent uniquement sous forme de vignettes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès pour des raisons de droits, mais vous avez accès à des images de plus grande taille sur place.)

Alternativement, vous pouvez acheter des copies de différents types via les services de duplication de la Bibliothèque du Congrès.

  1. Si une image numérique s'affiche : Les qualités de l'image numérique dépendent en partie du fait qu'elle a été réalisée à partir de l'original ou d'un intermédiaire tel qu'un négatif de copie ou un transparent. Si le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus comprend un numéro de reproduction commençant par LC-DIG. puis il y a une image numérique qui a été faite directement à partir de l'original et qui est d'une résolution suffisante pour la plupart des fins de publication.
  2. Si des informations sont répertoriées dans le champ Numéro de reproduction ci-dessus : Vous pouvez utiliser le numéro de reproduction pour acheter une copie auprès de Duplication Services. Il sera fait à partir de la source indiquée entre parenthèses après le numéro.

Si seules les sources en noir et blanc ("b&w") sont répertoriées et que vous désirez une copie montrant la couleur ou la teinte (en supposant que l'original en ait une), vous pouvez généralement acheter une copie de qualité de l'original en couleur en citant le numéro d'appel indiqué ci-dessus et y compris la notice du catalogue (« À propos de cet article ») avec votre demande.

Les listes de prix, les coordonnées et les formulaires de commande sont disponibles sur le site Web de Duplication Services.

Accès aux originaux

Veuillez suivre les étapes suivantes pour déterminer si vous devez remplir un bordereau d'appel dans la salle de lecture des estampes et photographies pour voir le ou les éléments originaux. Dans certains cas, un substitut (image de substitution) est disponible, souvent sous la forme d'une image numérique, d'une copie imprimée ou d'un microfilm.

L'article est-il numérisé ? (Une image miniature (petite) sera visible sur la gauche.)

  • Oui, l'article est numérisé. Veuillez utiliser l'image numérique de préférence à demander l'original. Toutes les images peuvent être visualisées en grand format lorsque vous vous trouvez dans n'importe quelle salle de lecture de la Bibliothèque du Congrès. Dans certains cas, seules les images miniatures (petites) sont disponibles lorsque vous êtes en dehors de la Bibliothèque du Congrès, car l'élément est soumis à des droits limités ou n'a pas été évalué pour les restrictions de droits.
    Par mesure de conservation, nous ne servons généralement pas un article original lorsqu'une image numérique est disponible. Si vous avez une raison impérieuse de voir l'original, consultez un bibliothécaire de référence. (Parfois, l'original est tout simplement trop fragile pour être utilisé. Par exemple, les négatifs photographiques sur verre et sur pellicule sont particulièrement susceptibles d'être endommagés. Ils sont également plus faciles à voir en ligne lorsqu'ils sont présentés comme des images positives.)
  • Non, l'article n'est pas numérisé. Veuillez aller au #2.

Les champs Access Advisory ou Call Number ci-dessus indiquent-ils qu'un substitut non numérique existe, tel que des microfilms ou des copies ?

  • Oui, un autre substitut existe. Le personnel de référence peut vous diriger vers cette mère porteuse.
  • Non, une autre mère porteuse n'existe pas. Veuillez aller au #3.

Pour contacter le personnel de référence dans la salle de lecture des estampes et photographies, veuillez utiliser notre service Ask A Librarian ou appelez la salle de lecture entre 8h30 et 17h00 au 202-707-6394, et appuyez sur 3.


Visite virtuelle interactive 3D du Saint-Sépulcre - Jésus-Christ à Jérusalem

Faites une visite virtuelle en 3D de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem comme jamais auparavant ! Suivez la visite guidée ou naviguez vous-même et explorez le site le plus sacré du christianisme catholique et orthodoxe.

Détails de l'application

Captures d'écran de l'application

Description de l'App Store

Faites une visite virtuelle en 3D de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem comme jamais auparavant ! Suivez la visite guidée ou naviguez vous-même et explorez le site le plus sacré du christianisme catholique et orthodoxe.

**Pour de meilleures performances, utilisez l'iPad génération 2 et plus.

Visitez le site de la crucifixion, de l'enterrement et de la résurrection de Jésus depuis chez vous !

Explorez et découvrez l'histoire des derniers jours de Jésus, l'histoire de l'Église et de Jérusalem et les nombreuses chambres, objets et histoires de ce lieu saint tels que :

•Le Calvaire 'Golgotha' - Où Jésus a été crucifié.
• L'Édicule - Le Tombeau de Jésus-Christ
• La Rotonde - Où Jésus est ressuscité.

Promenez-vous librement, apprenez et découvrez ce lieu saint proche du cœur de millions de chrétiens à travers le monde.

À propos de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre

L'église du Saint-Sépulcre - le site de la crucifixion, de l'enterrement et de la résurrection de Jésus est l'église la plus sainte du christianisme catholique et orthodoxe oriental et est donc l'une des destinations de pèlerinage chrétien les plus importantes au monde.

Visites virtuelles 3D de Jerusalem.com

S'élevant au-dessus de la politique, des conflits et des frontières géographiques, Jerusalem.com est une véritable expérience d'apprentissage spirituel pour toute la famille comme jamais auparavant. Notre visite 3D fusionne la foi avec la technologie 3D de pointe, ce qui permet de vous présenter les sites !

Grâce à notre visite 3D, vous pouvez explorer et voir plus que ce qui est disponible dans la réalité et visiter l'un des sites les plus uniques au monde. Tout le monde est invité à lire, apprendre et se promener librement à l'intérieur de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre !


Église du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem - Vue 3D - Histoire

L'église actuelle du Saint-Sépulcre s'étend sur deux sites :

Ces deux sites se trouvaient dans le même jardin à l'extérieur des murs de Jérusalem en 30 après JC, et maintenant ils sont sous un même toit.
John a écrit qu'ils étaient proches l'un de l'autre :

A l'endroit où Jésus fut crucifié, il y avait un jardin, et dans le jardin un tombeau neuf, dans lequel
personne n'avait jamais été couché. Parce que c'était le jour juif de la Préparation et que le tombeau était
à proximité, ils y déposèrent Jésus. - Jean 19:41-42

Le dessin de gauche montre la carrière abandonnée qui
était recouvert de sol brun rougeâtre dans le 100&rsquos avant JC
afin de créer un jardin. La région a également soutenu
des cultures céréalières et un verger de figues, de caroubiers et d'oliviers
des arbres.

Le dessin ci-dessous montre l'emplacement de la carrière (calvaire et tombes) située juste à
à l'extérieur des murs de la ville à l'ouest. C'est ainsi que la carrière/jardin abandonné avec des tombes
aurait regardé en 30 après JC. Remarquez l'emplacement du mur nord-ouest de la ville sur la droite.

La zone où se trouve l'église aujourd'hui était une grande carrière de calcaire en 600-700 av. La ville de Jérusalem était au SE et s'est d'abord étendue à l'ouest avant
il est venu au nord vers la carrière. Dans une zone à l'est de la chapelle Sainte-Hélène dans l'église du Saint-Sépulcre, la carrière avait plus de 40 pieds de profondeur.

En 30 après JC, c'était l'endroit idéal pour creuser de nouvelles tombes en raison de la roche laissée exposée autour de la carrière, car elle n'était disponible que récemment, donc toujours
avait beaucoup d'espace disponible, et parce qu'il était proche de la ville mais toujours en dehors des murs. Jérusalem était, et est toujours, entourée de tombes qui avaient servi à une
mille ans menant à 30 après JC. Ce nouveau jardin était en effet une belle opportunité pour Joseph de pouvoir tailler une tombe si près de la ville :

Or il y avait un homme nommé Joseph, membre du Conseil, un homme bon et droit, qui n'avait pas consenti à leur décision et à leur action. Il est venu
de la ville judéenne d'Arimathie et il attendait le royaume de Dieu. Allant chez Pilate, il demanda le corps de Jésus. Puis il l'a enlevé,
l'enveloppa de toile de lin et la plaça dans un tombeau taillé dans le roc, un tombeau dans lequel personne n'avait encore été mis. - Luc 23:50-53

Quatre tombes de cette période ont été fouillées.

  1. L'une des tombes était un kokh, un long et étroit renfoncement sculpté pour le placement d'un corps. Les ossements étaient laissés dans le kokh pendant un certain temps, puis collectés plus tard et placés dans un ossuaire. En raison de cette méthode de traitement des cadavres, les tombes étaient rarement des tombes « de nouveau », car elles étaient utilisées à maintes reprises par une famille ou un groupe de personnes.
  2. Une autre tombe trouvée dans cette zone était un arcosoliuim, ou un cercueil peu profond taillé dans la roche et taillé dans le côté d'un mur avec un sommet en forme d'arc. Ce tombeau a été érodé par des siècles de pèlerins.
  3. Le troisième est un grand tombeau qui, comme le kokh mentionné ci-dessus, a été retrouvé devant l'église dans la cour d'entrée. Constantin a agrandi cette tombe pour en faire une citerne.
  4. Enfin, une autre tombe kokh a été retrouvée sous le couvent copte. Il est clair et indéniable que l'église du Saint-Sépulcre se dresse sur l'emplacement d'un
    cimetière de l'époque de Jésus au premier siècle.

Les Juifs enterraient leurs morts hors des murs de la ville. Jésus lui-même a été crucifié hors des murs de la ville :

Et ainsi Jésus a également souffert à l'extérieur de la porte de la ville pour sanctifier le peuple par son propre sang. Allons donc vers lui hors du camp, portant la
honte qu'il portait. -Hébreux 13:12, 13

Non seulement cela, mais Jésus a également été enterré à l'extérieur de la ville dans un jardin :

A l'endroit où Jésus fut crucifié, il y avait un jardin, et dans le jardin un tombeau neuf, dans lequel personne n'avait jamais été mis. -Jean 19:41

En 135, après la deuxième révolte juive (132-135), Hadrien a reconstruit Jérusalem comme la ville romaine, Aelia Capitolina. Il a également rebaptisé Judea &ldquoPalaestina&rdquo (qui
est, la Palestine), après les anciens ennemis des Juifs, les Philistins, qui avaient cessé d'être un peuple après les invasions babyloniennes vers 586 av. Hadrien construit
une immense plate-forme surélevée (un mur de soutènement rectangulaire rempli de terre) à l'emplacement de cette ancienne carrière couverte de jardins et de tombes dans le but d'enterrer
Calvaire et tombeau de Jésus, site honoré des chrétiens.


Après que l'empereur romain Hadrien ait étouffé la deuxième révolte juive en 135 après JC, il a profané le mont du Temple avec des temples païens et une statue de lui-même. Il a également construit une plate-forme avec des sanctuaires païens au sommet du Calvaire et le tombeau du Dieu et Sauveur chrétien, Jésus. Cela a rendu le mont du Temple juif et les deux sites chrétiens inaccessibles aux fidèles, mais en même temps, cela a préservé la connaissance de leur emplacement afin que Constantin ait pu construire l'église du Saint-Sépulcre ici.

La plate-forme était nécessaire pour niveler la surface de pierre qui a été découpée par la carrière et les tombes. Hadrien a construit le mur de soutènement de cette plate-forme avec des pierres de taille hérodiennes (probablement du mont du Temple juif). Ces pierres sont de taille identique et font face aux pierres de taille hérodiennes dans le mur de soutènement du mont du Temple, ce qui faisait que le mur d'Hadrien ressemblait au mur occidental d'Hérode. Hadrien a ensuite construit un temple à Vénus au sommet de cette plate-forme. Eusèbe écrit à propos de ce sanctuaire païen dans son ouvrage intitulé La vie de Constantin, écrit vers 339 après JC :

Car il y avait eu dans le temps l'effort des hommes impies (ou plutôt laissez-moi dire de toute la race des mauvais esprits par leurs moyens), de consigner
aux ténèbres de l'oubli ce divin monument d'immortalité vers lequel l'ange radieux était descendu du ciel et avait roulé le
pierre pour ceux qui avaient encore le cœur de pierre, et qui supposaient que le vivant gisait encore parmi les morts et avaient annoncé la bonne nouvelle aux femmes
aussi, et ont enlevé leur incrédulité au cœur de pierre par la conviction que celui qu'ils cherchaient était vivant. Cette grotte sacrée, donc, certains impies et
les impies avaient pensé s'éloigner entièrement des yeux des hommes, supposant dans leur folie qu'ainsi ils seraient capables d'obscurcir efficacement le
vérité. En conséquence, ils ont apporté une quantité de terre de loin avec beaucoup de travail, et ont ensuite couvert la totalité de la place, l'ayant élevé à un niveau modéré.
hauteur, ils l'ont pavé de pierre, cachant la grotte sainte sous ce monticule massif. Puis, comme si leur but avait été effectivement accompli,
ils préparèrent sur cette base un véritable sépulcre d'âmes épouvantable, en construisant un sombre sanctuaire d'idoles sans vie à l'esprit impur qu'ils
appelez Vénus, et y offrant des oblations détestables sur des autels profanes et maudits. Car ils supposaient que leur objet ne pouvait autrement être
pleinement atteint, qu'en enterrant ainsi la grotte sacrée sous ces impuretés. Des hommes malheureux ! ils étaient incapables de comprendre à quel point c'était impossible
que leur tentative restât inconnue de celui qui avait été couronné de victoire sur la mort, pas plus que le soleil de plomb, lorsqu'il s'élevait au-dessus
la terre, et poursuit sa course habituelle au milieu des cieux, est invisible pour toute la race de l'humanité. En effet, son pouvoir salvateur, brillant d'encore
une plus grande clarté, et illuminant, non les corps, mais les âmes des hommes, emplissait déjà le monde de l'éclat de sa propre lumière.

En 325, au concile de Nicée, Macaire, évêque de Jérusalem de 314 à 333, demanda à Constantin de démolir le temple d'Hadrien et de découvrir le tombeau de
Christ. En 326 après JC, Helena, la mère de Constantin, a visité Jérusalem et on lui a dit que le site du temple d'Hadrien était le site de l'enterrement et de la résurrection de Jésus. Constantin
puis ordonna de construire une rotonde autour du tombeau de Jésus qui se trouvait devant le Calvaire, et de l'autre côté du Calvaire, Constantin construisit une longue église basilique.
Eusèbe poursuit en racontant comment Constantin a ordonné la destruction du sanctuaire païen d'Hadrien et l'enlèvement du matériel et de la terre utilisés pour couvrir le
tombeau de Jésus :

Il (Constantine) ne pouvait consentir à voir le lieu sacré dont nous avons parlé, ainsi enseveli, à travers les artifices des adversaires, sous tous les
sorte d'impureté, et abandonné à l'oubli et à la négligence, ni céder à la méchanceté de ceux qui avaient contracté cette culpabilité, mais invoquant le
l'aide divine, ordonna de purifier le lieu en profondeur. Aussitôt, alors, que ses ordres ont été émis, ces moteurs de tromperie ont été jetés
de leur orgueilleuse éminence jusqu'au sol, et les demeures de l'erreur, avec les statues et les mauvais esprits qu'elles représentaient, étaient
renversé et complètement détruit. . . . Le zèle de l'empereur ne s'arrêta pas non plus ici, mais il donna d'autres ordres pour que les matériaux de ce qui fut ainsi détruit,
la pierre et le bois devaient être enlevés et jetés aussi loin que possible de l'endroit et cet ordre était également exécuté rapidement. L'empereur,
cependant, ne se contenta pas d'avoir procédé jusque-là : une fois de plus, tiré avec une sainte ardeur, il ordonna de creuser le sol lui-même jusqu'à un
une profondeur considérable, et le sol qui avait été pollué par les impuretés immondes du culte des démons transporté dans un endroit très éloigné.
(La vie de Constantin, livre III, chapitres XXVI et XXVII)

Comme mentionné précédemment, les pierres que Constantin a retirées du sanctuaire païen détruit peuvent avoir été des pierres de taille hérodiennes du mont du Temple. Toujours
aujourd'hui, il y a des pierres de taille hérodiennes au fond des fondations de l'église du Saint-Sépulcre. Lorsque toute la pierre, les débris et la terre ont été retirés de
Le sanctuaire d'Hadrien, la carrière de pierre d'origine et le tombeau du Christ sont devenus visibles. Eusèbe, l'historien de l'église et biographe de Constantin continue d'écrire
vers 329 après JC :

Dès que la surface originelle du sol, sous la couverture de terre, apparut, immédiatement, et contre toute attente, le vénérable
et le monument sacré de la résurrection de notre Sauveur fut découvert. Alors en effet cette grotte très sainte présentait une similitude fidèle de son retour
à la vie, en ce que, après avoir été enterré dans les ténèbres, il a de nouveau émergé à la lumière, et a offert à tous ceux qui sont venus assister à la vue, une preuve claire et visible de
les merveilles dont cet endroit avait été autrefois le théâtre, un témoignage de la résurrection du Sauveur plus clair qu'aucune voix ne pouvait en donner.
(La vie de Constantin, livre III, chapitre XXVIII)

Constantin ordonna alors aux gouverneurs des provinces orientales de construire une maison de prière. Eusèbe enregistre la commande de cette façon :

L'empereur envoya des injonctions qui respiraient un esprit vraiment pieux, en accordant en même temps d'amples réserves d'argent et en commandant
qu'une maison de prière digne du culte de Dieu soit érigée près du tombeau du Sauveur sur une échelle de grandeur riche et royale.
(La vie de Constantin, livre III, chapitre XXIX)

Eusèbe enregistre même la lettre que Constantin a envoyée à Macaire, l'évêque président de l'église de Jérusalem à cette époque. Dans la lettre Constantin
décrit ses plans pour la nouvelle construction et demande conseil à Macarius concernant le plafond de l'église :

Il sera donc bon pour votre sagacité de prendre de telles dispositions et de fournir toutes les choses nécessaires pour le travail, que non seulement l'église elle-même
dans son ensemble peut surpasser tous les autres en beauté, mais que les détails du bâtiment peuvent être de telle sorte que les structures les plus belles de n'importe quelle ville
de l'empire peut être surpassé par cela. . . et quant aux colonnes et aux marbres, tout ce que vous jugerez, après inspection réelle du plan, être
particulièrement précieux et utile, soyez diligent pour nous envoyer des informations par écrit, afin que quelle que soit la quantité ou le type de matériaux que nous
l'estime de votre lettre pour être nécessaire, peut être obtenu de chaque côté, selon les besoins, car il convient que l'endroit le plus merveilleux du monde
doit être dignement décoré. En ce qui concerne le plafond de l'église, je désire savoir de vous si, à votre avis, il doit être à panneaux,
ou fini avec tout autre type de fabrication. Si le plafond à panneaux est adopté, il peut également être orné d'or. (La vie de Constantin,
Livre III, chapitres XXX et XXX1)

C'est le plan d'étage de la magnifique et extravagante église du Saint-Sépulcre de Constantine. Il se composait d'une basilique, d'une cour à colonnades autour du calvaire,
et une grande rotonde à colonnades autour du tombeau de Jésus.

Il est intéressant de noter la compréhension d'Eusebius&rsquo de la valeur eschatologique de ces événements, et il convient de noter que la vue d'Eusebius&rsquo reflétait l'attitude de Constantin et du chrétien général de ce jour. L'interprétation d'Eusèbe des Écritures et sa compréhension des événements eschatologiques l'ont amené, lui et Constantin, à considérer ce projet de construction comme faisant partie de la Nouvelle Jérusalem, et le règne de Constantin comme la réapparition du Christ sur terre pour régner à travers son église. C'était l'une des nombreuses corruptions de l'interprétation eschatologique qui devaient se produire tout au long de l'histoire de l'Église. Eusèbe a écrit :

En conséquence, à l'endroit même qui a vu les souffrances du Sauveur, une nouvelle Jérusalem a été construite, en face de celle si célèbre
of old, which, since the foul stain of guilt brought on it by the murder of the Lord, had experienced the last extremity of desolation, the effect of Divine
judgment on its impious people. It was opposite this city that the emperor now began to rear a monument to the Savior&rsquos victory over death, with
rich and lavish magnificence. And it may be that this was that second and new Jerusalem spoken of in the predictions of the prophets, concerning
which such abundant testimony is given in the divinely inspired records. (The Life of Constantine, Book III, Chapter XXXIII)

Of course, the destruction of all Christian churches including the original Church of the Holy Sepulcher by the Persian hordes in 638, and the total destruction of
the rebuilt Church of the Holy Sepulcher by the Muslim Egyptian Caliph al-Hakim in 1009, both provided clear evidence that the New Jerusalem had not yet come.
When the crusaders arrived in 1099 they rebuilt the ruined church with parts of Hadrian&rsquos temple that can be seen in eight different locations in the church today.
The crusaders also used the remains of Constantine&rsquos glorious rotunda and basilica, including marble pillars they reduced to half their original size. Godfrey of
Bouillon became the first Crusader king of Jerusalem on July 15, 1099 and called himself the &ldquoDefender of the Holy Sepulcher.&rdquo The Crusader church was
completed fifty years later in 1149.

Recent excavations have revealed Herodian ashlars in the remains of Hadrian&rsquos foundation walls at the lowest levels of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Les
presence of these stones helps confirm that this is the actual site of Jesus&rsquo burial. Further evidence comes from a time even before Constantine built his church in 326.
When Constantine&rsquos mother visited Jerusalem she was told that this exact spot was the location of Calvary and Christ&rsquos tomb. The fact that by 326 this area was inside
the busy city of Jerusalem is strong evidence that they were right.

Based on the testimony of scripture and our knowledge of ancient Jewish practice, it is certain that Jesus was buried outside the city walls. But this site was inside
the city. Had they not actually known and been merely guessing, they would have picked a more logical place. For example, the Garden Tomb, also known as Gordon&rsquos
Calvary, would have been a much better guess. Even today it looks like a better location for Jesus&rsquo death, burial and resurrection. The fact that Helena was shown
this unlikely site in 326 gives it credibility.

In addition to the location being inside the walls in 326, another fact lends credibility to the Christians&rsquo assertion: Hadrian&rsquos pagan shrine was still standing
there when Helena visited. If they did not know for certain they were right, why would the Christians have believed the burial site of their resurrected Lord
had been buried under a vile temple of corrupt pagan worship for 190 years?

Archaeology has now confirmed three important facts about the current site of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher:

  1. It was outside the city walls of Jerusalem in 30 AD
  2. It had many tombs in the first century (and they are clearly seen yet today)
  3. There is an earlier building here that was built before the time of Constantine and Helena (i.e., Hadrian&rsquos temple to Venus)


This is the entrance to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The current building was inaugurated by the Crusaders who rebuilt it in 1149. This site was
honored by first century Christians, buried by Hadrian in 135, identified by local believers in 326, covered by Constantine&rsquos church by 335, which was then
destroyed by the Persians in 614, only to be rebuilt and destroyed again by the Muslim Caliph Hakim in 1009. The right (east) half of the main entrance to the church
was walled shut by the Muslims after the Crusaders lost Jerusalem in 1187.

The "Entrance Court" on the outside of the open door leading into the the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The "Entrance Court" can be located on the map below:


This is a floor plan of today's Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Locate the "Entrance" (right above the &ldquoEntrance Court) and the unblocked door seen above.

Some areas we will visit in the next few pages are:

  1. the steps up to Calvary located behind the blocked entrance
  2. the two views of Calvary up stairs that are called &ldquoLatin Calvary&rdquo and &ldquoGreek Calvary&rdquo
  3. the &ldquoChapel of Adam&rdquo (directly below the Greek Calvary, but not marked on this diagram)
  4. the &ldquoStone of Anointing&rdquo in the main entryway
  5. the &ldquoRotunda&rdquo with columns and an arched dome
  6. the &ldquoHoly Sepulcher&rdquo and the burial bench of Jesus
  7. the &ldquoSyrian Chapel&rdquo with access to &ldquoFirst Century Tombs&rdquo. We will then move to the right side of the diagram passing through some unmarked
    hallways and chapels to
  8. the &ldquo29 Steps with Cross Graffiti&rdquo, down into the
  9. &ldquoChapel of St. Helen.&rdquo We will then return to the &ldquoEntrance&rdquo to watch the Muslim gate keeper lock the door of the church at the end of the day for
    the divided Christian groups who worship here.


Today this church is shared by six groups of Christians: Latin Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox, Syrians, Copts, and Ethiopians.

This ladder is located on a ledge above the main entrance. It was placed there some time in the late 1800&rsquos to take food to Armenian monks who were
locked inside the church. This ladder can be seen in photos from at least 1890. The ladder remains where it is because the various Christian groups that control the
church cannot agree on who is responsible for putting it away. Each of the six groups - Greek Orthodox, Roman (Latin) Catholics, Armenians, Copts, Syrians, and
Ethiopians &ndash have their own areas of jurisdiction which were precisely defined in 1852.


The front door on the left side of the entryway of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher shows charred remains near the metal handles and locks from a serious fire
in the church in 1808. In 1927 an earthquake also caused great damage to the church. Damage from the earthquake was not repaired until 1959 because it took
32 years for the Latin, Greek and Armenian Christians to come to an agreement on how the church was to be repaired.


This is the Roman Catholic, or Latin, Chapel next to Calvary. It is upstairs and to the right of the main entrance. A few steps ahead and to the left we enter the
Greek Chapel, or the Greek Orthodox altar at Calvary. The altar you see here was made in Florence, Italy in 1588 and was donated by Cardinal Medici. Sur le
front of the altar are four scenes from Jesus&rsquo suffering hammered into silver panels &ndash two panels are on the bottom and the other two are directly above them.
The altar is from 1588 and comes from Florence, Italy. It was donated to the church of the Holy Sepulcher by Cardinal Medici.


This is the Greek Altar in the Greek Chapel at Calvary (notice in the room to the right is the Roman Catholic Chapel). Underneath the altar and just in front of the picture
(by the head of the person who is kneeling) is an opening through which you can actually touch the bedrock of Calvary at a spot that is traditionally believed to be
near the place where the base of the cross was placed. On both sides of the altar the original bedrock of the rock known as Calvary (Golgotha or &ldquoThe Skull&rdquo) can
be seen through the viewing glass. The glass is there because, through the centuries, visiting pilgrims have chipped off souvenirs from these holy sites, including the original
burial bench in Jesus&rsquo tomb.

Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). Here they crucified
lui. . for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city. - John 19:17, 18, 20


This modern Greek Orthodox mosaic hangs behind the Stone of Anointing and can be seen as we enter the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The mosaic shows
Jesus' body being removed from the cross with the skull of Adam in the ground beneath it (far right). This is why the chapel under the Greek Chapel at Calvary
is called the Chapel of Adam. According to tradition, Adam was buried under Calvary when he died. But, an even earlier tradition has Adam being buried under
the Most Holy Place on the Temple Mount. It appears this Jewish tradition followed the Christians from the Temple Mount to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
To the left of the Calvary scene is the middle scene, showing the anointing of Jesus&rsquo body. The third scene, furthest to the left, is the burial of Jesus&rsquo body in the
tomb. All three of these events took place under the roof of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.


This photo provides a perspective of the distance between Calvary and the tomb of Jesus. This was originally a rock quarry that was abandoned and used
for cutting tombs in the days of the New Testament. The Stone of Anointing is in the middle of this photo.
The diagram below shows the same locations as the photo above.

The nearness of Calvary to the tomb of Christ is attested to in the Gospel of John. John wrote that they were close together and located in the same garden:

At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb. -John 19:41


Right in the middle of the Rotunda is the Holy Sepulcher, the Tomb of Jesus.
The original rock that surrounded the tomb was removed by Constantine
beginning in 326 sothat only a large square rock block was left surrounding
the tomb. In 1009 the Muslim Caliph from Egypt, al-Hakim, completely
destroyed the Church of the Holy Sepulcher andcrushed the stone block
around the tomb that was left by Constantine. The only portion of the tomb
that was spared was the burial bench because it was covered in the rubble.
Today the burial bench exists but is covered with a marble slab to preserve
what is left from visiting Christians who chipped away at it in order to get a
piece of the tomb.

To the Left: An image of what the tomb of Jesus originally looked
Comme. The only part left is the burial bench.

The front of the Holy Sepulcher. The only original part of Jesus&rsquo tomb that is left is the burial bench in the back left of the elaborate building.

Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen
cloth, and placed it in his own new tomb that he
had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in
front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.
Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting
there opposite the tomb.
- Matthew 27:59-61 (also Mark 15:46-47 Luke 23:53)

The columns in today&rsquos rotunda over the tomb of Christ are parts of Constantine&rsquos original rotunda built in the
300&rsquos. This means the original columns were taller and much more magnificent than what we see today.
Constantine&rsquos spectacular rotunda with its large dome covering the tomb of Christ was intended to declare
Christ&rsquos victory and reign. Eusebius, the church historian from the days of Constantine, quoted Constantine
as ordering a rotunda built for Christ that was &ldquoof a magnificence worthy of his wealth and of his crown.&rdquo

Columns in the back left of the sepulcher.

Originally, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher was constructed as two sites. The first was a rotunda (a building with a circular ground plan) with a dome marking the tomb of Christ. The second was a basilica church on the site of the crucifixion. (A basilica is
large-roofed hall with interior colonnades that divides the space, giving aisles or arcaded spaces at one or both sides. There is also an apse at one end where the
church leaders sit. The central aisle is usually wider and higher than the flanking aisles. This design allows light to enter through the clerestory windows, the upper
row of windows, in order to bring light all the way to the center of the large building).

Between these two buildings was a courtyard enclosed in a columned portico. All this was located on the west side of the Cardo, Jerusalem&rsquos main street at that time. The Basilica faced the street and was the front entrance of the complex. In 1876 a mosaic called the Madaba Map was found on the floor of a Byzantine church from the 500&rsquos in Madaba, Jordan. This map shows the Cardo Street, the Nea Church and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The full map was of Israel, and included the area from Beth-shan to the Nile River in Egypt, and from the Mediterranean Sea in the west to the Arabian Desert in the east. It is the oldest map of Israel in existence. The map is about 65 feet by 16 feet, and was made from more than 2 million tesserae. There are 150 captions, all in Greek.


Front left columns of the Rotundra. The Holy Sepulcher is to the left of this photo. The Stone of Anointing and Calvary are through the open arch way behind the two
large columns.


The Syrian Chapel is a small room behind the Rotunda, just a few steps from the tomb of Jesus, provides access to other tombs from the same period. This is a photo
of the altar in the Syrian Chapel. First century tombs from the time of Christ that were cut into the abandoned quarry can be accessed just to the right of this photo in this Syrian Chapel.


Inside the small opening we can see the original bedrock and tombs in the back. There is a small door to the right that blocks access into one of the tombs.


This is a photo of the Chapel of the True Cross. Tradition says that Constantine's mother found the true cross of Jesus hidden in this chapel when they
uncovered the area in 326. A cross that was considered the "true" cross existed, but was taken by the Persians. It was later recovered and restored to the church.
Ironically, it eventually disappeared completely due to Christian pilgrims picking pieces of wood from it and taking them home. The Chapel of the True Cross is the lowest and easternmost point in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. The chapel got its name from a legend that says Helena found the true cross of Christ there.

This &ldquocave&rdquo is on the opposite side of other first century tombs and was once a quarry, but after the quarry was abandoned it was converted into a cistern. To the right of the altar is a fresco painted by the Crusaders, now protected by plexiglass. To the left of the altar is a small room called the Chapel of St. Vartan. Inside this room are Herodian ashlarstones from the Temple Mount, remains of Hadrian&rsquos foundation walls built in 135 AD for his pagan temples.

On one of these ashlars is a painting of a ship with the Latin inscription &ldquoDOMINE IVIMUS&rdquo (&ldquoLord, we came&rdquo) drawn by a Christian pilgrim sometime between 135 and 200 AD. This inscription confirms the belief that early Christians visited this site to honor Jesus, even while a pagan shrine stood here. The boat could be a Byzantine sailing ship with the mast lowered. The bow of the ship is to the left, and the stern and two steering rudders at the back are on the right side. If that is the case, the inscription would be from around the time of Constantine, probably after Constantine had ordered the destruction of Hadrian&rsquos temples but before the Church of the Holy Sepulcher had been built. The inscription is from the traditional Psalm of the pilgrim to Jerusalem:

I rejoiced with those who said to me, &lsquoLet us go to the house of the Lord.&rsquo Our feet are standing in your gates, O Jerusalem. - Psalm 122:1

Another interpretation of the Latin inscription is &ldquoDD M NOMINUS&rdquo (&ldquothe gift of Marcus Nominus&rdquo).



During the Byzantine period many of the traditions (both true and merely legendary) that had been associated with the Temple Mount were transferred to
the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. For example, Adam was said to be buried beneath the cross on Calvary, thus the meaning of &ldquoGolgotha&rdquo - the place of the skull.
Also, the sacrifice of Isaac was transferred from the Temple Mount to the Holy Sepulcher. With the building of the Dome of the Rock on the Temple Mount, these
traditions were transferred back to the Temple Mount by the Muslims.


The bedrock behind the wall which is behind the altar in the Chapel of Adam located below the Greek and Latin Chapel's at Calvary. This is a close up of the
rock of Calvary as seen through the wall in the Chapel of Adam. We are back on the main floor in the Chapel of Adam. We will leave this room and turn left to
walk to the tomb of Jesus, going past the Stone of Anointing, which would be very close to the place Joseph and Nicodemus wrapped Jesus&rsquo body:

As evening approached, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who had himself become a disciple of Jesus. . Joseph
took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front
of the entrance to the tomb and went away. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were sitting there opposite the tomb. - Matthew 27:57-61

So as evening approached, Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God
went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus&rsquo body. . So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen,
and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. - Mark 15:42-46


This photo shows the doors of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher being locked by a Muslim man whose family has done it every day since 1178 AD when the Muslim Nuseibeh family was appointed by Saladin to take care of the key and manage the locking and unlocking of the 3 ton doors for the constantly fighting Christian groups. During the 1700&rsquos there were tensions between the Ottoman Empire authorities and the Nuseibeh family, so in 1789 the Joudeh family was given the responsibility of assisting the Nuseibeh family. Since that time a member of the Joudeh family brings the key to a member of the Nuseibeh family who then unlocks and locks the Church door for the Christians.

Watch Galyn's video of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher above: (back to top)

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher that we see today has been destroyed and rebuild several times through the centuries.

The church we see today was constructed by the Crusaders

The Dome of the rock was built 300 years later to rival this proclamation of Constantine and the Christian world.

The two grey domes of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher can be seen in the skyline in the middle of this photo taken from beside the Dome of the Rock (right) on the Temple Mount looking west.

  1. Outside the city walls of Jerusalem in 30 AD
  2. Used for tombs in the first century (there are some clearly there yet today.
  3. There is an earlier building on the site of Jesus burial that was built before Constantine and Helena.
&ldquoHe judged it incumbent on him to render the blessed locality of our Saviour's resurrection an object of attraction and veneration to all. He issued immediate injunctions, therefore, for the erection in that spot of a house of prayer." (XXV)

&ldquoThis sacred cave, then, certain impious and godless persons had thought to remove entirely from the eyes of men, supposing in their folly that thus they should be able effectually to obscure the truth. Accordingly they brought a quantity of earth from a distance with much labor, and covered the entire spot then, having raised this to a moderate height, they paved it with stone, concealing the holy cave beneath this massive mound. Then, as though their purpose had been effectually accomplished, they prepare on this foundation a truly dreadful sepulchre of souls, by building a gloomy shrine of lifeless idols to the impure spirit whom they call Venus, and offering detestable oblations therein on profane and accursed altars. For they supposed that their object could not otherwise be fully attained, than by thus burying the sacred cave beneath these foul pollutions." (XXVI)

(- from the Life of Constantine written by church historian Eusebius of Caesarea, 260-341, from XXV and XXVI)

Parts of Hadrian&rsquos temple can still be seen at eight different locations in today&rsquos Church of the Holy Sepulcher. Parts in the current façade show remains of Hadrian&rsquos temple from 135 AD. Hadrian used some Herodian ashlars (most likely from the Jewish Temple) in the foundation walls of Hadrian&rsquos pagan temple to Venus that is now part of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

  1. In the façade
  2. In the foundation walls
  3. One ashlar has a ship drawn on it with the inscription &ldquoDOMINE IVIMUS,&rdquo or &ldquoLord, we came&rdquo. This appears to have been drawn on this foundation stone in the 100&rsquos by a Christian who had sailed to Israel to visit the burial place of Christ which had been covered by Hadrian&rsquos temple.
  1. Finish reading here http://www.bib-arch.org/online-exclusives/easter-06.asp

The columns in today&rsquos rotunda over the tomb of Christ are the fragments of the original rotunda of Constantine from the 300&rsquos. This means the original columns were taller and much more magnificent than what we see today.

The magnificent rotunda with its large dome that Constantine had built over the tomb of Christ declared Christ&rsquos victory and his reign. Eusebius, the church historian from the days of Constantine, quoted Constantine as ordering a rotunda be built for Christ that was &ldquoof a magnificence worthy of his wealth and of his crown.&rdquo

During the Byzantine period many of the traditions and events, both true and legend, associated with the Temple Mount were transferred to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. For example, Adam is said to be buried beneath the cross on Calvary, thus they say the meaning of &ldquoGolgotha&rdquo - the place of the skull. Also, the sacrifice of Isaac was transferred from the Temple Mount to the Holy Sepulcher. With the building of the Dome of the Rock on the Temple Mount these traditions were transferred back to the Temple Mount by the Muslims.

Between these two buildings was courtyard enclosed in a columned portical. This all was located on the west side of the Cardo, Jerusalem&rsquos main street of the Byzantine period. The Basilica faced the street and was the front entrance.

In 1876 a mosaic called the MADABA MAP was found on the floor of a Byzantine church from the 500&rsquos in a church in Madaba, Jordan. This map shows the Cardo Street, the Nea Church and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher

The full map was of Israel, and included the area from Beth-shan to the Nile river in Egypt and from the Mediterranean Sea in the west to the Arabian desert in the east. It is the oldest map we have of Isael.

The map is about 65 feet by 16 feet and was made from more than 2 million tesserae. There are 150 captions are written in Greek.
Back to the Top

The area where the Church sits today was a large limestone quarry in 600-700 BC. The city of Jerusalem was to the SE and expanded first to the west before it came north by the quarry. In an area east of St. Helena&rsquos Chapel in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher the quarry was over 40 feet deep.

In the 100&rsquos BC the quarry was filled in and covered with reddish-brown soil. This area was still outside the city walls. This area then became a garden and orchard with cereals, fig trees, carob trees and olive trees. Tombs were also cut here at this time. Four tombs from this time have been excavated. One of the tombs was a kokh, or a long, narrow recess or cave carved for the placement of a body. Later the bones were collected and placed in an ossuary. Another tomb located here was an arcosoliuim, or a shallow, rock-hewn coffin cut in the side with an arch-shaped top. This tomb has been chipped away by centuries of pilgrims. Third, a large tomb like the kokh mentioned above was found in front of the church in the entry courtyard. Constantine cut this tomb larger to use as a cistern. Fourth, a kokh tomb was found under the Coptic convent.


3D imaging sheds light on Holy Sepulchre 'graffiti'

Thousands of unique crosses etched on the walls of Christianity’s most sacred church have long baffled researchers.

But three-dimensional imaging has shed light on the mysterious markings, carried out during renovations at Jerusalem's Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

What was always assumed to be graffiti appears be something "more organzed’’ according to Amit Re’em - Jerusalem’s regional archaeologist at Israel’s Antiquities Authority.

"What we saw with the optical machinery that we map a the crosses inside them and we saw that all of them have the same depth and even the marking of the mason. So if you look at these thousands of crosses, I can say very carefully because we are only in the beginning of the research that maybe two or three hand artists made these crosses. it's not a pilgrim. Only three hands of artists. So it's not a graffiti, it's something more organized of the church."

The new theory is that medieval masons may have been paid by pilgrims visiting the site to carve into the walls…

revered in Christian tradition as the place of Jesus's crucifixion and burial.

"Let's say that you are an Armenian pilgrim who visited the chapel of Helena, in the Holy Sepulchre, so you pay something to the priest, you pay something to this special artist and he carved for you, for the benefit of your soul and your relatives' souls, he carved for you a special cross in the most sacred place for Christianity on earth and that's it. This is, from our point of view, the explanation of these unique phenomenon."

The chapel is normally bustling with worshippers and clergy, making it usually difficult to study the markings - which are provisionally dated to the 15th century.

But for most part of the last year has been void of visitors, giving archaeologists a unique opportunity for research.

Father Samuel Aghoyan is the church's Armenian superior.

While he hailed the research shedding light on pilgrims of the past, he looked forward to welcoming their contemporaries back again.

"Now there are no pilgrims here, still their spirit is here, we know, I believe in that. But their absence is something else that cannot be replaced by anything else. We need their presence, I pray to God that the difficulties that we


Contenu

The initial building was founded by Constantine the Great in 335, after he had removed a pagan temple on the site that was possibly the Temple of Aphrodite built by Hadrian. Constantine had sent his mother St. Helen to find the site during excavations she is said to have discovered the True Cross. The church was built around the excavated hill of the Crucifixion and was actually three connected churches built over the three different holy sites, including a great basilica (the Martyrium visited by the nun Egeria in the 380s), an enclosed colonnaded atrium (the Triportico) built around the traditional Rock of Calvary, and a rotunda, called the Anastasis ("Resurrection"), which contained the remains of the cave that St. Helen and St. Macarius, Patriarch of Jerusalem, had identified with the burial site of Jesus. The surrounding rock was cut away, and the Tomb was encased in a structure called the Edicule (from the Latin aediculum, small building) in the center of the rotunda. The dome of the rotunda was completed by the end of the 4th century.

This building was damaged by fire in 614 when the Persians under Khosrau II invaded Jerusalem and captured the Cross. In 630, Emperor Heraclius, who had captured the Cross from the Persians, marched triumphantly into Jerusalem and restored the True Cross to the rebuilt Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Under the Muslims it remained a Christian church, unlike many other churches, which suffered destruction or conversion into mosques. The early Muslim rulers protected the city's Christian sites, prohibiting their destruction and their use as living quarters, but after a riot in 966, where the doors and roof were burnt, the original building was completely destroyed on October 18, 1009, by the "mad" Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, who hacked out the church's foundations down to bedrock. The east and west walls and the roof of the Edicule were destroyed or damaged (contemporary accounts vary), but the north and south walls were likely protected by rubble from further damage.

However, after a peace treaty between the Byzantine emperor Romanos III and the caliphate, the church was gradually rebuilt between 1024 and 1048. In 1048, a series of small chapels was erected on the site by Constantine IX Monomachos under stringent conditions imposed by the caliphate. The rebuilt sites were taken by the knights of the First Crusade on July 15, 1099. Crusader chief Godfrey of Bouillon, who became the first "king of Jerusalem," decided not to use the title "king" during his lifetime, and declared himself Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri, "Protector (or Defender) of the Holy Sepulchre." The chronicler William of Tyre reported on the reconstruction. The Crusaders began to renovate the church in a Romanesque style and added a bell tower. These renovations, which unified the holy sites, were completed during the reign of Queen Melisende 50 years later in 1149. The church was also the site of the kingdom's scriptorium. The church was an inspiration for churches in Europe like Santa Gerusalemme in Bologna and the "Round Church" of Cambridge, England.

After defeating the crusaders, Saladin brought down the Cross and turned the church into a mosque from 1187 to 1190. After an agreement with the Byzantine emperor Isaac II Angelos, Saladin gave the church back to the Christians by 1390 a number of new repairs were made to the church.

Until the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the Orthodox Patriarchs kept the keys of the church. This law, by Patriarch Dorotheos, was renewed by Sultan Suleiman in 1517. With the new law of Suleiman, they keys were given to a Muslim family in 1545. During this period the canopy of the Holy Sepulchre was also repaired.

In 1545 Patriarch Germanos added a small dome to the church, and the Franciscan monks renovated it further in 1555, as it had been neglected despite increased numbers of pilgrims. During 1719-1720 the church was repaired further by the Orthodox and also the Catholics.

In 1808, the Armenians set the church on fire, which severely damaged the structure, causing the dome of the rotunda to collapse and smashing the edicule's exterior decoration. The rotunda and the edicule's exterior were rebuilt in 1809 and 1810 by Orthodox people worldwide, especially by the Greek architect Komnenos Mitilineos.

In 1834 and 1836, two earthquakes damaged the church. The repairs from this damage began in 1867-1869 after a great delay, but the temple dome is finally renovated through the assistance of the Russians, the French and the Turkish. The 1808 fire did not reach the interior of the edicule, and the marble decoration of the tomb dates mainly to the 1555 restoration. The current dome dates from 1870.

In more recent times, the small dome was destroyed in 1927 by an earthquake registering 6.3 on the Richter scale. In 1931-33 the church was rebuilt through the financial assistance of the Greek State. In 1948 the big dome of the Church was damaged and repaired within the same year. By 1958, after an agreement between the three churches of Jerusalem (the Greeks, the Armenians, and the Catholics), extensive modern renovations began, including a rebuilding of the big dome (1978-1985) and a redecoration of the big dome (1994-1997). In 1995 the exterior of the dome of the katholikon was repaired with copper, and restoration works continue to the present time.

Several Christian communions cooperate in the administration and maintenance of the church and its grounds, under a fiat of Status Quo that was issued by the Sublime Porte in 1852, to end the violent local bickering. The three, first appointed when Crusaders held Jerusalem, are the Orthodox, the Armenian Apostolic and Roman Catholic Churches. These remain the primary custodians of the church. In the 19th century, the Coptic Orthodox, the Ethiopian Orthodox and the Syrian Orthodox acquired lesser responsibilities, which include shrines and other structures within and around the building. An agreement regulates times and places of worship for each communion. For centuries, two neutral neighboring Muslim families appointed by Saladin, the Nuseibeh and Joudeh families, were the custodians of the key to the single door.

When a fire broke out in 1840, dozens of pilgrims were trampled to death. On June 20, 1999, all the Christian communions who share control agreed in a decision to install a new exit door in the church.


Photo, Print, Drawing Church of the Holy Sepulchre Jerusalem

The Library of Congress does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not license or charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.

Ultimately, it is the researcher's obligation to assess copyright or other use restrictions and obtain permission from third parties when necessary before publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.

For information about reproducing, publishing, and citing material from this collection, as well as access to the original items, see: Popular Graphic Arts Collection - Rights and Restrictions Information

  • Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication.
  • Reproduction Number: LC-DIG-pga-00304 (digital file from original print)
  • Call Number: PGA - Brewer--Church of the Holy Sepulchre. (D size) [P&P]
  • Access Advisory: ---

Obtaining Copies

If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)

Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.

  1. If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG. then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
  2. If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.

If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.

Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.

Access to Originals

Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.

Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)

  • Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions.
    As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
  • No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.

Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?

  • Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
  • No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.

To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.


Voir la vidéo: Léglise du Saint-Sépulcre à Jérusalem


Commentaires:

  1. Ayyub

    Non, en face.

  2. Juramar

    Depuis combien de temps ce blog est-il lancé ?

  3. Dempsey

    À mon avis, vous vous trompez. Entrez, nous en discuterons.

  4. Aescwyn

    Je m'excuse, mais à mon avis, c'est apparent.

  5. Poston

    Je pense que vous avez été induit en erreur.



Écrire un message