Worcester et Norwich - Histoire

Worcester et Norwich - Histoire


Al Southwick : le jour de l'indépendance et la place de Worcester dans l'histoire

Le 3 juillet 1776, John Adams a écrit une lettre à sa femme, Abigail, au sujet du vote capital pour l'indépendance que le Congrès continental avait pris la veille.

&ldquoLe deuxième jour de juillet 1776, sera l'époque la plus mémorable de l'histoire de l'Amérique. Je suis porté à croire qu'elle sera célébrée, par les générations suivantes, comme la grande fête anniversaire. Il devrait être commémoré comme le jour de la délivrance par des actes solennels de dévotion à Dieu Tout-Puissant. Il devrait être célébré avec Pomp and Parade, avec des spectacles, des jeux, des sports, des armes à feu, des cloches, des feux de joie et des illuminations d'un bout à l'autre de ce continent à partir de maintenant pour toujours. Vous pouvez penser que je suis transporté d'enthousiasme, mais je ne le suis pas. Je suis bien conscient du Labeur, du Sang et du Trésor qu'il nous coûtera de maintenir cette Déclaration et de soutenir et défendre ces États. Pourtant, à travers l'Ombre, je peux voir les Rayons de Lumière et de Gloire ravissants. Je peux voir que la Fin vaut plus que tous les Moyens. Et cette Postérité triomphera dans cette Transaction de Jours. &rdquo

Bien qu'Adams ait cité le 2 juillet comme date cruciale, les historiens ont déterminé que le Congrès a en fait ratifié le document deux jours plus tard, le 4 juillet.

Les Américains ont vite compris que le Jour de l'Indépendance était vraiment une très grosse affaire. Le 18 juillet 1777, la Virginia Gazette a publié un compte rendu des festivités à Philadelphie &ndash &ldquo avec démonstration de joie et de festivité», y compris le tir de canons et la sonnerie des cloches de l'église &ndash qui a peut-être été la première célébration de la Déclaration enregistrée.

Worcester n'était pas loin derrière. Cette communauté s'intéressait vivement à la Déclaration. La première lecture publique du célèbre document dans l'État a eu lieu ici même à Worcester une semaine environ après le 4 juillet 1776, lorsque Isaiah Thomas, maître de poste de Worcester, a ouvert un colis adressé à Boston et a découvert une copie de la Déclaration. Il l'a ensuite lu à un rassemblement réuni devant la première église sur la commune, à propos de l'emplacement actuel de l'hôtel de ville.

Thomas était un ardent patriote et un infatigable promoteur de l'indépendance des colonies. Il était probablement l'un des organisateurs de la première célébration du Quatrième à Worcester, le 8 juillet 1779. The Massachusetts Spy, détenu et édité par Thomas, a donné un compte rendu complet de l'occasion :

&ldquoLe matin de ce jour-là a été inauguré par la sonnerie des cloches, le tir d'un canon et l'affichage du drapeau continental. A 12 heures, 13 canons ont été tirés. Dans la soirée, le palais de justice a été illuminé, 13 roquettes ont été tirées et d'autres feux d'artifice ont été tirés, à la grande satisfaction de nombreux amis respectables et fidèles à la cause commune de notre nation, qui se sont rassemblés au palais de justice de cette ville et des villes voisines. Des félicitations mutuelles ont été données et un certain nombre de toasts adaptés à l'occasion ont été bu.

Il convient de noter que cette célébration de la liberté américaine a eu lieu alors que la guerre faisait encore rage. Les forces britanniques avaient été chassées de Boston, mais les Britanniques tenaient New York et des combats avaient lieu en Géorgie et en Caroline du Sud. La capitulation de Lord Cornwallis à Yorktown avait lieu dans plus de deux ans. Une célébration de l'indépendance américaine en 1779 était une remarquable démonstration de confiance, pour ne pas dire culot.

L'Espion exultait : « C'est avec plaisir que nous pouvons informer nos lecteurs que l'esprit de patriotisme est en train de renaître. Rien n'est désormais voulu pour compléter le salut politique de ce pays.&rdquo

Des années plus tard, après la création du gouvernement fédéral, les célébrations du 4 juillet sont devenues partisanes. Il y avait des célébrations fédéralistes et des célébrations républicaines (démocrates), chacune avec ses rituels faisant du foin politique aux dépens du groupe rival. Des orateurs comme Daniel Webster ont exposé avec force sur les problèmes nationaux, souvent longuement et parfois une heure ou deux.

La Quatrième est devenue une véritable fête nationale après la guerre de Sécession, lorsque le peuple américain a commencé à redéfinir l'Union, sauvée de si peu de la division. La célébration de 1872 ici à Worcester a montré le nouvel esprit dans tous ses excès enflammés. À minuit, a rapporté le Telegram, "des milliers d'enfants et de personnes âgées étaient sortis pour inaugurer le Quatrième avec tout le bruit qu'ils pouvaient faire. La panique n'a duré qu'une heure, puis le couvercle a duré jusqu'au jour.

&ldquoMorning a apporté plus d'excitation. À 8 heures du matin, l'unité de la batterie B a tiré une salve de 22 coups du haut de Bell Hill. Dès lors, la ville gronda d'un barrage presque constant de pétards et de torpilles. Les chefs-lieux de comté étaient également animés d'explosions, pas toutes sûres.»

Les événements ici à Worcester comprenaient cinq groupes, dont les &ldquoStudelfunk Flunkies&rdquo et &ldquoThe Lowland Cadets.&rdquo Le défilé comprenait &ldquoLt. Hardtack, Major Sassafras Bones, Surgeon et Capt. Slaymen.» Nous ne pouvons qu'espérer qu'ils étaient tous politiquement corrects.

Les festivités de la ville ont été coordonnées par le greffier municipal Charles Benchley, père du comédien Robert Benchley et arrière-grand-père de Peter Benchley, écrivain de &ldquoJaws.&rdquo On peut supposer que tous ont passé un bon moment.

Cette chronique est parue pour la première fois dans le Telegram & Gazette le 30 juin 2016.


Worcester et Norwich - Histoire


La collection d'images suivante (Cliquez ici) ne représente qu'un petit nombre d'éléments d'intérêt pour les historiens et les archivistes. Pour avoir l'occasion d'étudier toute la collection de première main, contactez Linda Davis, de la Shrewsbury Historical Society.

En 1880, Matthew John Whittall a construit un moulin à Worcester sur Southbridge Street pour la fabrication de tapis et de moquettes raffinés. La famille Whittall a vécu dans sa résidence urbaine jusqu'à la construction d'un grand domaine d'été géorgien blanc en 1912. Pour cette maison, Charles A. Kably, un agent immobilier de Worcester, a vendu à M. Whittall 100 acres de terrain au sommet de Meetinghouse Hill à Shrewsbury, qui avait se composait de sept biens appartenant à des propriétaires distincts.

Juniper Hall, comme M. Whittall a nommé son domaine de Shrewsbury, est devenu un
point de repère à plusieurs kilomètres à la ronde. Il a tenu l'une des plus belles vues de Central
Massachusetts en raison de son emplacement sur le point culminant de Shrewsbury.
Son point de vue comprend le lac Quinsigamond et s'étend au-delà de Worcester jusqu'aux collines de Paxton et Rutland au nord, on peut voir le mont Monadnock et le mont Wachusett.

Toutes les pièces de la maison à deux étages étaient grandes, surtout celles du
premier étage. Le hall de réception avait un plafond s'étendant jusqu'au deuxième étage avec un balcon environnant. Au premier étage se trouvaient également un garde-manger, une salle de musique, une salle à manger, un salon et une salle de petit-déjeuner. Il y avait quatre cheminées, quatre chambres et un grand salon au deuxième étage. Le solarium, qui donnait sur des jardins à la française, couvrait presque tout un côté de la maison.

Le jardinage était un passe-temps particulier de M. et Mme Whittall. Salle des Genévriers
est devenu l'un des lieux d'exposition du comté de Worcester, avec son aménagement des jardins à la française, de la piscine et des jardins de "cueillette de fleurs". Les terrains étaient célèbres et familiers à beaucoup de gens, car le public était invité à visiter et à voir les fleurs en fleurs. La semaine des lilas à Juniper Hall était l'un des événements majeurs de la saison pour ceux qui s'intéressaient aux fleurs.

À l'été 1922, le vice-président Calvin Coolidge a visité Juniper Hall. En 1927, ce monument blanc encadré d'arbres a été cédé par Mme Whittall à la Grande Loge des Maçons du Massachusetts. Son souhait était que la maison soit utilisée pour le soulagement des souffrances, en mémoire de son mari qui y était décédé en 1922 et qui avait été maçon au 33e degré. La structure est devenue connue de beaucoup à Shrewsbury et dans la région sous le nom d'hôpital maçonnique. Le domaine a été acheté par la ville de Shrewsbury en 1976 et le bâtiment a ensuite été rasé.

Le manoir a disparu maintenant, tout comme les souvenirs d'époques différentes, mais la terre reste et c'est toujours un monde enchanteur. Au lieu de jardins à la française, il y a une nature sauvage avec une beauté feutrée qui lui est propre. Juniper Hall n'est plus qu'un souvenir, mais l'image de persiste dans son creux au sommet.

LES FRÈRES NORCROSS -"MAÎTRES CONSTRUCTEURS"

Les constructeurs de la maison Shrewsbury de Matthew J. Whittall
Salle des Genévriers
Rue de la Perspective

James et Orlando Norcross ont fondé la Norcross Brothers Construction Company, de Worcester, dans le Massachusetts, et sont devenus l'une des premières entreprises d'entrepreneur général du pays. Le nombre de bâtiments attribués à la Norcross Construction Company est considérable. Les frères ont extrêmement bien travaillé entre la construction du bâtiment et la compréhension des besoins et des conceptions de l'architecte. Ils ont obtenu leur titre de « Maître bâtisseur » en raison de leur intelligence, leur ingéniosité, leur personnalité et leur bon sens. Ils ont également travaillé pour certains des architectes les plus influents de l'époque, à savoir Henry Hobson Richardson, Peabody et Stearns, McKim, Mead & White et Shepley, Rutan et Coolidge (successeurs de H. H. Richardson). Les frères ont déposé de nombreux brevets de construction à leur nom (c'est-à-dire colonnes en béton, dalles de sol en béton, cloisons, etc.) dont la plupart sont encore utilisés dans le monde de la construction aujourd'hui.

La famille Norcross est originaire de l'État du Maine et a déménagé à Salem, Massachusetts vers 1843. James et Orlando sont tous deux nés dans le Maine - James Atkinson Norcross est né à Kennebec, Maine en 1831 et Orlando Whitney Norcross est né à Clinton, Maine en 1839. Leurs parents étaient Jesse Springer Norcross et Margaret Whitney Norcross. Jesse Norcross, un menuisier qui a travaillé dans tous les aspects du bâtiment, a déplacé sa base commerciale du Maine à Salem, dans le Massachusetts, pour établir un emplacement plus lucratif pour son travail.

James et Orlando ont rapidement établi leur propre entreprise d'entrepreneur général à Swampscott. Ils ont ensuite transféré leur base d'affaires en 1866 à Worcester, dans le Massachusetts, après avoir été engagés pour construire le Worcester High School (qui n'est plus debout) et la Leicester Congregational Church. La Norcross Brothers Construction Company est restée à Worcester pour le reste de sa carrière. Après avoir terminé avec succès leurs premières commandes à Worcester, les frères Norcross se sont liés dans une association presque continue et très lucrative avec l'architecte du lycée de Worcester, Henry Hobson Richardson. H.H. Richardson est devenu l'un des architectes américains les plus influents de la fin du XIXe siècle. Après s'être associée à H. H. Richardson, la Norcross Brothers Construction Company a procédé à la construction de presque toutes les grandes commandes de Richardson. Certains de ces bâtiments sont :

L'église de la Trinité, Boston, MA
La maison d'État du Rhode Island
Église épiscopale Saint-Jean, New York
Bibliothèque publique de New York
Juste pour en nommer quelques-uns.

Reportez-vous au classeur Norcross pour voir la "liste partielle" des bâtiments construits par la Norcross Brothers Construction Company avec l'aimable autorisation de PRESERVATION WORCESTER, Cedar Street, Worcester, MA.
La Norcross Brothers Construction Company a également travaillé sur des rénovations à la Maison Blanche, à Washington, DC, et sur des travaux d'ajout/rénovation de la maison Vanderbilt.

Les frères Norcross ont construit leurs propres maisons au coin des rues Claremont et Woodland (leurs maisons abritent actuellement les installations du Centre de technologie, d'environnement et de développement de l'Université Clark). À l'exception de très peu de changements mineurs, principalement extérieurs, les deux maisons Norcross sont des images miroir l'une de l'autre. La maison d'Orlando était située au 16 Claremont Street et la maison de James était située au 18 Claremont Street.

James Norcross s'est occupé de toutes les responsabilités et devoirs du bureau. C'était un homme très conservateur, minutieux, autodidacte et un brillant penseur. Orlando Norcross possédait un esprit fort, a servi pendant la guerre civile et a bien appris le métier de menuiserie et de construction. Les frères ont également trouvé à leur avantage d'acheter et d'entretenir leurs propres carrières pour produire la pierre utilisée pour leurs bâtiments - grès, calcaire et marbre.

James se retira de l'entreprise en 1897. James avait également construit l'impressionnante résidence « Fairlawn », sur May Street, Worcester, qu'il occupa en juillet 1895. Orlando continua seul l'entreprise.

Avec la mort de ces deux hommes incroyables, James est décédé en 1903 et Orlando est décédé en se rendant au travail à l'âge de 80 ans en 1920, Norcross Brothers Construction Company allait souffrir et finir par cesser d'exister.

Remarqués pour leur maçonnerie de qualité, leur savoir-faire, leur honnêteté, leur intégrité et leur organisation, les frères Norcross ont apporté une contribution extrêmement importante à l'entreprise de sous-traitance. Ils ont fait d'énormes progrès dans l'histoire architecturale et commerciale de leur époque, à la fois indépendamment et grâce à leur association avec les grands architectes de leur époque. Les frères Norcross continuent de vivre grâce aux énormes avancées et innovations qu'ils ont développées et à travers les nombreuses structures qui parsèment encore les États-Unis à ce jour.

****************************
CEPENDANT, POURQUOI CETTE INFORMATION
SUR CES CÉLÈBRES ET TALENTUEUX
FRÈRES IMPORTANT.

QUELLE CONNEXION AVEC ILS ONT AVEC
SHREWSBURY.

Ces constructeurs fabuleux, créatifs et extrêmement prospères ont construit la maison connue sous le nom de Juniper Hall pour M. Matthew J. Whittall sur Prospect Street, ici à Shrewsbury. Les frères ayant des liens de travail avec Matthew Whittall étaient probablement un premier choix. (Les frères avaient travaillé sur les moulins Whittall et construit l'église épiscopale St. Matthew, à Worcester - M. Whittall étant un membre fondateur et un généreux financier de l'église). Orlando Norcross a évidemment été approché par M. Whittall pour construire sa nouvelle maison sur son emplacement de plus de 70 acres à Shrewsbury.

La belle et majestueuse maison a été construite par Norcross Construction Company pour un coût de QUATRE-VINGT MILLE DOLLARS (80 000,00 $) en 1912. Elle a servi de maison à Matthew et Gertrude Whittall pendant plusieurs années. À l'occasion du cinquième anniversaire de la mort de Matthew Whittall, Gertrude a cédé la propriété sur la Grande Loge des Maçons du Massachusetts pour l'utiliser comme maison de retraite/convalescence. La propriété devint plus tard connue dans la ville sous le nom de Masonic Home/Hospital. En 1976, la propriété est devenue la propriété de la ville de Shrewsbury, puis en 1979, la ville a pris la décision de démolir cette maison.

UNE TELLE PERTE HISTORIQUE POUR LA VILLE DE SHREWSBURY QUAND VOUS PENSEZ AUX CONNEXIONS !

Grâce à:
Nancy Johnson - article de recherche
Université Clark - site web
Conservation Worcester-documents
Worcester Historical Museum - Robin Christensen - Bibliothécaire
Paula Rowse Buonomo - auteur "Histoire de l'église Saint-Matthieu"

Matthieu J. WHITTALL
FABRICANT DE TAPIS
PROPRIÉTAIRE DE WHITTALL MILLS
WORCESTER
ET SALLE JUNIPER
RUE PROSPECTIVE
SHREWSBURY

Matthew J. Whittall était un immigrant britannique qui a fait fortune dans la fabrication de tapis.

Il est né à Kidderminster, en Angleterre, le 10 mars 1843. Après ses études, il a déménagé dans une ville appelée Stourport. Là, à l'âge de 21 ans, Matthew a pris en charge une entreprise de fabrication de tapis appartenant à Thomas B. Worth. M. Worth était un fabricant de tapis bien connu. À ce poste, Matthew a découvert l'entreprise et il est resté dans l'entreprise pendant environ six ans.

En octobre 1868, Matthew épousa Ellen, la plus jeune fille de feu Henry Paget, à Stourport, en Angleterre.

M. Whittall et sa famille sont arrivés aux États-Unis en 1871 et il a occupé le poste de surintendant à la Compton Carpet Company, à Worcester. En 1879, la Compton Company est dissoute. M. Whittall était alors déterminé à s'essayer à la fabrication. Il a loué un bâtiment à South Worcester (alors connu sous le nom de Wicks Mill) et a commencé à fabriquer lui-même. Il a visité sa maison natale en Angleterre pour acheter les machines nécessaires à son usine. Matthew a acheté des machines qui lui permettraient de fabriquer des tapis Wilton et Brussels. En Angleterre, il acheta douze métiers à tisser. Environ trois ans plus tard, alors que les affaires étaient en plein essor, M.Whittall a acheté un terrain et a érigé sa première usine de tapis. Pendant environ dix ans après son premier bâtiment, Matthew a continué à s'agrandir en ajoutant de nouveaux bâtiments sur une base périodique jusqu'à ce que son entreprise couvre près de 200 000 pieds carrés de terrain. Il finit par exploiter l'usine d'Edgeworth pour le fabricant de fils peignés en 1885 et achète également la Palmer Carpet Company en 1892. En 1910, les usines employaient environ 1 500 ouvriers qualifiés et les usines exploitaient environ 350 métiers à tisser pour tapis et carpettes. Il était un employeur attentionné et a également organisé des événements tels que des spectacles de ménestrels et des journées sur le terrain pour les employés. The Whittall Mills était l'un des plus gros employeurs de South Worcester et est resté en activité jusqu'à la fin des années 1950. Il est également devenu l'un des plus grands fabricants de tapis individuels au monde.

Avec son expérience, son sens pratique et ses connaissances dans la fabrication de tapis, il a profité de chaque nouvelle idée qui pourrait être utilisée dans la production de produits nouveaux et désirables. La qualité de ses tapis était recherchée dans tout le pays. Il a même reçu une commande forfaitaire pour approvisionner les bâtiments gouvernementaux en tapis. Le président et Mme McKinley ont personnellement félicité Matthew pour son choix de tapis pour certaines de leurs chambres à la Maison Blanche. Les usines Whittall sont devenues l'un des plus grands fabricants de tapis individuels au monde.

Ses bâtiments du moulin de South Worcester abritent maintenant l'entreprise de Rotman's Furniture.

M. Whittall était un individu à l'esprit libéral et axé sur la communauté. Il s'intéressait sérieusement à sa communauté. Il était associé à de nombreuses organisations : Board of Trade, Worcester Club, Tatassit Canoe Club, Blackstone Valley Street Railway Co., Manufactures' Mutual Insurance Company, People's Savings Bank, administrateur de la bibliothèque publique et de l'hôpital de la ville pour n'en nommer que quelques-uns. Même s'il n'a jamais occupé de fonction publique, il a également été membre du conseil du gouverneur sous les ordres du gouverneur McCall en 1917/1918 et du gouverneur Coolidge en 1919/1920.

A cette époque, Worcester était une ville en pleine croissance avec 25 % de sa population en 1855 née à l'étranger. Avec de nombreux immigrants anglais, dont beaucoup de Kidderminster, la ville natale de M. Whittall, travaillant dans les usines de Whittall, leur religion et les traditions de leur pays d'origine constituaient une partie importante de leur vie. Ces immigrants anglais ont organisé leurs propres équipes de cricket et de football et un English Social Club.

Leur paroisse s'appelait l'église épiscopale Saint-Matthieu et ici, ces gens adoraient et socialisaient. Au printemps de 1871, M. O. W. Norcross, de la Norcross Brothers Construction Company, de Worcester, fut engagé pour construire la chapelle. Cette chapelle était ouverte aux offices le jour de la Saint-Matthieu, le 21 septembre 1871. La paroisse a été organisée en 1874 avec Matthew J. Whittall en tant que membre fondateur. Grâce à la générosité financière et à l'engagement de Matthew J. Whittall et de sa famille, l'église a pu sortir de ses humbles débuts. La construction d'un nouveau St. Matthew's a commencé avec la pose de la pierre angulaire le 26 mai 1894. Les frères Norcross ont travaillé avec l'architecte Stephen Earle à la construction de ce nouveau bâtiment sous les yeux attentifs du comité de construction - un membre étant M. Matthew J. Whittall. L'église avait une dette de près de 30 000 $ envers Norcross Brothers que la famille Whittall a généreusement assumée. M. Whittall a été élu directeur de l'Église. Il a également été nommé pour mettre en place un comité de dotation pour l'église. Les membres de la paroisse St. Matthew's ont continué d'entretenir des liens étroits avec leur église de Kidderminster, en Angleterre, l'église St. Mary's. C'était la paroisse d'enfance de la famille de Matthew Whittall et la paroisse de beaucoup d'autres qui ont suivi leur employeur et ami à Worcester.

À l'angle opposé de l'église St. Matthew (au coin des rues Southbridge et Cambridge), Matthew Whittall a placé sa maison de Worcester, Hillside. " La maison dispose d'un vaste terrain, aménagé avec beaucoup de goût et constitue l'une des résidences les plus agréables et les plus attrayantes de la ville. " (Le Worcester de 1898). Il a été dit que M. Whittall a construit sa majestueuse résidence de Worcester en face de l'église pour surveiller de près qui se présentait et qui ne s'y rendait pas pour le service du dimanche.

La première épouse de M. Whittall, Ellen, est décédée en novembre 1895, laissant un fils et une fille. En 1906, Matthew épousa Gertrude Clarke, d'Omaha, Nebraska. Après son second mariage, M. et Mme Whittall ont choisi de construire leur maison à Shrewsbury.

En 1912, Norcross Brothers Construction a été engagé par M. Whittall et Gertrude pour construire le grand domaine géorgien blanc sur la haute colline, dans la ville de Shrewsbury. Plusieurs parcelles de terrain ont été achetées pour constituer les 100 acres environ du domaine.
La propriété a été nommée Juniper Hall. Les Whittall adoraient partager le magnifique domaine et les jardins. Ils ont accueilli le public à venir visiter pour voir les centaines de fleurs s'épanouir. Il y avait des champs d'iris sauvages, de glycines,
et des jardins pour cueillir des fleurs. Ils ont organisé des événements tels que "Lilac Weekend" qui était l'un des événements majeurs de la saison. Juniper Hall de Whittall était connu comme l'un des lieux d'exposition du comté de Worcester avec son bassin réfléchissant et ses jardins.

Matthew Whittall était un maçon au 33e degré. À la mort de Matthew en 1922, Gertrude Whittall lui a dédié la pergola des jardins en la renommant « Le jardin du doux souvenir ». Elle a continué à vivre sur la propriété jusqu'à ce qu'en 1927, elle lègue généreusement Juniper Hall et tous les biens immobiliers à la Grande Loge des Maçons du Massachusetts pour une maison de retraite et de convalescence à la mémoire de son mari.

Matthew J. Whittall est décédé le 31 octobre 1922. La congrégation de l'église St. Matthew a été profondément attristée par le décès de M. Whittall. Il avait servi l'église et contribué généreusement pendant près de cinquante ans.

M. Whittall, bien que digne, était quelqu'un d'abordable. C'était un homme gentil, généreux et intelligent, connu pour son intégrité, son honnêteté et son sens de l'humour. Il était admiré par des amis, des associés, des employés et des connaissances.

La prochaine fois que vous conduisez à l'ouest de Rt. 290 vers Auburn, regardez juste après le premier bâtiment Rotman's Furniture et voyez son nom gravé dans la pierre sur le bâtiment suivant et rappelez-vous de l'une des personnes les plus éminentes et les plus prospères de Worcester.

Merci de:
Paula Rowse Buonomo
Site web de la loge maçonnique Whittall
Worcester Historical Museum pour avoir contribué à l'information

Extrait d'un album trouvé dans la collection de la Shrewsbury Historical Society

POUR CONSACRER LA SALLE JUNIPER LE 30 MAI

La Grande Loge des Maçons du Massachusetts recevra les clés du domaine par
Mme M. J. Whittall.

Exercices notables à 15h30.

Juniper Hill (Hall), Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, le magnifique domaine Whittall de 200 000 $ qui a été cédé le 29 octobre en fiducie à la Massachusetts Grand Lodge of Masons, par Mme Gertrude (Clarke) Whittall, veuve de Matthew J. Whittall, en mémoire d'elle mari, à utiliser pour le soulagement des francs-maçons dignes et indigents, de leurs veuves et personnes à charge résidant dans le Commonwealth du Massachusetts, sera consacré lors d'une communication spéciale de la Grande Loge qui se tiendra sur les lieux à 15h30, Memorial Day , date à laquelle les clés du domaine seront remises au maître et aux gardiens de la Grande Loge.

Il a été spécifié dans l'acte de la fiducie que si la Grande Loge détermine que s'il n'est pas conseillé d'exploiter une telle propriété comme un hôpital ou une maison comme ci-dessus, « alors ladite propriété sera consacrée à de telles utilisations caritatives au profit de dignes et les francs-maçons indigents, les veuves et les personnes à charge que mon dit fiduciaire (la Grande Loge) choisira ».

M. Whittall, un maçon du 33e degré, à la mémoire duquel le don est fait, était un fabricant de tapis de renommée internationale, qui pendant plusieurs années avant sa mort en 1921, était membre du conseil d'administration de la Grande Loge, et un Mason sérieux et dévoué. Il était membre de la Loge Athelslan, A.F. et A.M., a été institué, était un membre fondateur de cette Loge et est devenu son premier maître adorateur élu en 1920 - 1921.

La propriété comprend entre 85 et 100 acres de terrain, magnifiquement amélioré et est l'un des plus beaux domaines résidentiels du Commonwealth. Sur cette propriété se dresse la grande maison géorgienne qui est un point de repère à des kilomètres à la ronde. Il commande l'une des plus belles vues du centre du Massachusetts.

Situé sur une crête élevée, la plus haute de la ville de Shrewsbury, et à plus de 700 pieds au-dessus du niveau de la mer, il surplombe le lac Quinsigamond et au-delà les collines de Paxton et Rutland et vers le nord jusqu'au mont Monadnock et au mont Wachusetts.

Juniper Hall est l'un des lieux d'exposition du comté de Worcester depuis sa construction en 1912. Les jardins sont célèbres et familiers à des milliers de personnes, car le public a toujours été le bienvenu, en particulier aux périodes où les expositions florales étaient à la plus haut. Mme Whittall a développé le domaine en une combinaison rare de jardins à la française et d'adaptation des plantes cultivées à l'environnement sauvage.

Mme Whittall est la fille d'Henry Taft Clarke, un pionnier maçon du Nebraska, et le premier homme à être élevé au grade de maître maçon dans cet état. Il fut l'un des fondateurs de la première loge à être constituée au Nebraska, et tout au long de sa vie fut l'un des patrons de l'institution dans cette Grande juridiction.

Lors de la communication trimestrielle de la Grande Loge, le 14 décembre, le Grand Frank L. Simpson a déclaré dans l'offrande de ce cadeau : « J'espère que le but du donateur pourra être réalisé et que cette propriété sera consacrée à l'usage d'un hôpital. pour prendre soin des frères maîtres maçons affligés et de leurs descendants pour lesquels des logements convenables ne peuvent être trouvés dans les institutions existantes.Je recommande que le don de cette propriété soit accepté sur la confiance établie dans l'acte de convelance et que des résolutions appropriées soient gratitude et admiration de la fraternité pour la générosité et l'amour bienveillant qui ont motivé le don." « Je recommande également qu'une copie de ces résolutions convenablement grossières soit envoyée à Mme Whittall, par les autorités de la Grande Loge, en témoignage de l'appréciation des frères du Massachusetts pour sa générosité et sa bienveillance.

SALLE JUNIPER À USAGES CARITATIVES

Magnifique maison de campagne à utiliser pour « le soulagement de la souffrance » et toute façon que la juridiction du Massachusetts de l'ordre fraternel juge appropriée - Présentée en mémoire de son défunt mari, qui était maçon au 33e degré, à l'occasion du cinquième anniversaire de sa mort
______________

Mme Matthew J. Whittall a cédé à la Grande Loge des Maçons du Massachusetts son magnifique domaine de campagne, Juniper Hall, sur la crête de Meeting House Hill, à Shrewsbury. Le cadeau est à la mémoire de son mari, feu Matthew John Whittall, qui était lui-même un 33e maçon. Elle est faite vers le cinquième anniversaire de sa mort.

La propriété sera connue sous le nom de Juniper Hall Memorial. Son but
sera "le soulagement de la souffrance".

Le domaine comprend environ 100 acres de terres, sur lesquelles se dressent les
grande maison géorgienne, qui est un point de repère à de nombreux kilomètres à la ronde. Ce
commande l'une des plus belles vues du centre du Massachusetts. Le haut
La crête, la plus élevée de la ville de Shrewsbury, surplombe le lac Quinsigamond et au-delà les collines de Paxton et Rutland, et au nord le mont Monadnock et le mont Wachusett et d'autres éminences lointaines. Bien que non loin du village de Shrewsbury et de la Boston Post Road, la distance est suffisante pour donner à l'endroit un isolement reposant.

Peut être un hôpital
Le grand lodge n'a pas encore décidé à quel usage exact la propriété
sera mis. Il s'agira probablement d'un hôpital dont les patients
seront membres du Massachusetts de l'ordre. Le comité de la grande loge, dirigé par le grand maître Frank L. Simpson, de Boston, a fait une inspection formelle de l'endroit mardi, et l'acceptation formelle de l'offre généreuse et inattendue de Mme Whittall lui a été remise.

Juniper Hall est l'un des lieux d'exposition du comté de Worcester depuis sa construction par M. et Mme Whittall, en 1912. Les jardins sont célèbres et familiers à des milliers de personnes, car le public a toujours été le bienvenu, en particulier à des périodes où les étalages floraux étaient à la hauteur. La semaine des lilas à Juniper Hall a été l'un des événements de la saison pour les amateurs de fleurs. Mme Whittall est elle-même une jardinière amateur d'une grande habileté, et ses idées ont fait du domaine une combinaison rare de jardins à la française et d'adaptation de plans cultivés à un environnement sauvage. Sa prairie où l'iris pousse à l'état sauvage dans les herbes indigènes a attiré de nombreux visiteurs intéressés, pendant la saison de floraison.

Le manoir est très grand. Le terrain qui s'y prolonge se prête à l'érection d'autres bâtiments, car la Grande Loge juge souhaitable de fournir plus de logements dans la réalisation de l'objectif du mémorial.

La propriété de la propriété passe à la grande loge immédiatement. Il est toutefois peu probable que l'occupation réelle commence avant le printemps prochain. En attendant, des plans plus détaillés seront sans doute élaborés quant à l'étendue des activités de secours qui y seront menées. Le domaine de Meeting House Hill se composait à l'origine de sept parcelles de propriété, chacune avec un propriétaire différent. Ceux-ci ont été réunis pour M. Whittall par le bureau de Charles A. Kabley.

Cette information provient d'un album de la collection de la Shrewsbury Historical Society
Pas de date sur l'article - on pense qu'il se situe vers mai 1927


Histoire de la ville

Norwich a été fondée en 1659 par des colons de Saybrook dirigés par le major John Mason et le révérend James Fitch. La terre a été achetée à la tribu Mohegan locale, dirigée par leur Sachem, Uncas. La première colonie se situait autour de Norwichtown Green. Des fournitures ont été apportées d'un atterrissage près de la base de Yantic Falls. En 1684, les colons autorisent un nouveau débarquement public à la tête de la Tamise, site du centre-ville actuel.

L'amélioration des installations de débarquement a amené des navires plus gros et a stimulé la croissance du commerce. Les produits des fermes intérieures et des forêts de l'est du Connecticut étaient échangés aux Antilles contre du sucre, de la mélasse, du rhum et des Africains réduits en esclavage. Au milieu des années 1700, le port possédait un port colonial prospère connu sous le nom de Chelsea Landing.

Révolution

À la fin de la guerre française et indienne en 1763, les politiques commerciales britanniques plus restrictives et le Stamp Act de 1764 ont entraîné des protestations généralisées dans les colonies. Une réponse a été de remplacer les produits importés d'Angleterre par des produits fabriqués localement. Christopher Leffingwell a commencé la fabrication de papier, de poterie, de chocolat et de bas à cette époque.

Lorsque la résistance à la domination britannique s'est transformée en révolution ouverte, les dirigeants de Norwich ont joué un rôle important en tant que dirigeants militaires et politiques. Jedidiah Huntington a servi d'aide de camp à George Washington. Samuel Huntington, un cousin, a siégé au Congrès continental et a été président de cet organe lorsque les articles de la Confédération ont été adoptés en 1781. L'un des premiers héros de la Révolution, Benedict Arnold, né à Norwich, est devenu un traître tristement célèbre.

Une ville en croissance

The city of Norwich was incorporated in 1784, one of the first five Connecticut cities. The abundant waterpower available on the Yantic and Shetucket rivers provided the motive power for textile factories, which by the mid-1800s dominated the local economy.

Steamboats brought passengers and freights to Norwich wharves. Goods and passengers were transferred to the Norwich & Worcester railroad, constructed from 1835 to 1840. Raw cotton and wool were shipped to textile mills throughout the region, and finished cloth shipped back. Norwich became the commercial, transportation, and manufacturing hub of the region.

Norwich was rocked by the controversy over slavery prior to the Civil War. David Ruggles, a key figure in the Underground Railroad, was raised in Norwich. Sarah Harris and other members of her family sought educational opportunities and civil rights for blacks. Norwich Free Academy, founded in 1854, continues to provide secondary education for Norwich and surrounding towns. NFA had non-discriminatory practices from its beginnings.

By the Civil War, the Republicans dominated city politics and controlled the state government. Governor William A. Buckingham and Mayor James Lloyd Greene supported the war effort. As in the Revolution, Norwich supplied men, firearms, and ships. The city welcomed the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation on January 1, 1863. After Lincoln&rsquos assassination, US Senator Lafayette S. Foster served as acting Vice-President. Frances M. Caulkins completed her revised History of Norwich in 1866.

A Thriving City

Rapid industrial growth transformed Norwich into a modern urban center by the early 20th century. Electric trolleys were introduced in 1892. Mohegan Park, started in 1907 with private donations and purchase, is centered around Spaulding Pond. Another important greenspace, Lowthorpe Meadows, was set aside by private philanthropists in the same year.

Immigrants from French Canada, southern and eastern Europe, the Cape Verde islands, and other areas, as well as internal migrants from the American South, reshaped the city in the late 1800s and the 1900s. Their skills and labor went to support the city&rsquos mills and businesses. Settling in various sections of town, the newcomers introduced new churches, cultural organizations, and self-help associations, greatly enriching the diversity of the city. Recent newcomers to Norwich have included Haitians, Spanish-speakers from Central and South America, and Asians, predominantly Chinese.

Civic groups had an important role in city improvements during the 20th century. A progressive city, Norwich moved to take over public utilities in 1904. City government was reorganized as a council/manager form in 1951. In 2001, a charter revision restored the office of Mayor, but retained the city manager.

Today&rsquos Norwich is a thriving city with a stable population, full range of municipal services, a modern industrial park and minor league ball team, its own publicly-owned electric, gas and water utility, and a positive outlook for residential and business growth.


Worcester and Norwich - History

Detail for a Map exhibiting the route of the Norwich & Worcester rail-road surveyed by James P. Kirkwood, James Laurie (Civil Engineers). Californie. 1835 - Connecticut Historical Society and Connecticut History Illustrated

An ad for the Norwich and Worcester Rail-Road for contractors from the September 17, 1836, edition of the Hartford Times

On August 28, 1837, the directors of the Norwich and Worcester Railroad celebrated the completion of the Taft Tunnel in Lisbon. The first railroad tunnel in Connecticut and among the earliest tunnels built in America it remains one of the oldest railroad tunnels still in active use. Dr. Nott, of Franklin, delivered the prayer at the dedication and Asa Child, Esq., general agent of the company, delivered the address to the assembled crowd.

At this time, Railroad transportation was relatively new to Connecticut, which chartered its first railroads in 1832. Built to connect the waters of Long Island Sound with the manufacturing heart of Massachusetts, the Norwich to Worcester line covered the route in the shortest possible distance. In a study conducted by Roger Huntington prior to its construction, Huntington estimated that businesses transported 15,000 tons of goods along this route annually (excluding the towns of Norwich and Worcester). The goods included paper and iron as well as products from the 27 woolen and 75 cotton mills along the route.

James Laurie, co-founder of the American Society of Civil Engineers and chief engineer for the railroad, oversaw the project. Due to the drastic change in elevation near Quinnebaug Falls it became necessary to tunnel through the hill. Builders initially found much of the rock to be unstable and a passage from the summit to the foundation had to be opened for 75 feet before the men could even begin to tunnel through solid rock. The result was a slightly curved, narrow tunnel measuring 300 feet long by 23 feet wide and 18 feet high. The tunnel is currently part of the Providence and Worcester Railroad.

Taftville Tunnel. Photograph by an unknown photographer, ca. 1900 – Connecticut Historical Society


A HISTORY OF NORWICH

Norwich started as a small Anglo-Saxon settlement north of the River Wensum in Norfolk. In time it grew into a town, perhaps because of its situation on a river. (In those days it was much cheaper and easier to transport goods for sale by water than by land). It became known as North Wic (wic is an old word for port and Norwich was an inland port). The name Norwich first appears on a coin minted in the early 10th century.

By then Norwich was a large and important town (although it would appear no more than a village to us). It had a mint and would have had a weekly market. Norwich was probably also a burgh or fortified settlement. The town would have been surrounded by a ditch and earth embankment with a wooden palisade on top.

In the 10th century, Norwich grew rapidly. As the town grew the settlement spread to the south bank of the river. Gradually the settlement at Norwich shifted from north to south of the River Wensum.

Then in 1004 the Danes sacked and burned Norwich. (That was easy since the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). However, Norwich was soon rebuilt and flourished once again. The Danes left many place names in this part of England. The street name ‘gate’, as in Pottergate, is derived from the Danish word gata meaning street. Potter gata was the street where potters lived and worked. The meaning of Fishergate is obvious. The street name Tombland is derived from a Danish word meaning empty space. Fingelgate comes from a Danish word meaning bend or elbow.

NORWICH IN THE MIDDLE AGES

By the time of the Domesday Book, in 1086, Norwich was one of the largest towns in England with a population of about 6,000. Although that seems tiny to us settlements were very small in those days, a typical village only had 100 to 150 inhabitants. By the 14th century, the population of Norwich had probably grown to about 10,000.

In Norwich, as in most Medieval towns, the main industry was the manufacture of wool. First, it was woven then it was fulled. That means the wool was cleaned and thickened by being pounded in a mixture of water and clay known as fuller’s earth. The wool was pounded by wooden hammers worked by watermills. Afterward, it was dyed.

Another important industry in Medieval Norwich was leatherworking. In Norwich, there were tanners, saddlers, and shoemakers. there were also many goldsmiths in Norwich. There were also the same craftsmen found in any medieval town such as blacksmiths, carpenters, brewers, bakers, potters, tailors, and thatchers.

In Norwich there were weekly markets. There was also an annual fair. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year for a period of a few days. People would come from all over eastern England and London to sell at a Norwich fair. The main export from Norwich was wool. Imports included woad for dyeing, timber, and pitch, wine, millstones, and fish from Great Yarmouth.

In 1094 the local bishop moved his seat from Thetford to Norwich. In 1096 he began building a new cathedral. Stone was brought from Caen in France and a little canal was dug to transport it from the river to the site of the new cathedral. However, the cathedral was not consecrated until 1268. The Normans also built a wooden castle in Norwich. In the early 12th century it was rebuilt in stone.

In 1194 Norwich was given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights). From then on they elected a Reeve, an official who governed the town day to day. In 1265 there was a civil war between the king and some barons. In 1266 some rebel barons sacked Norwich but the town soon recovered.

In the early 13th century the friars arrived in England. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world, they went out to preach and help the poor. There were 4 groups of friars in Norwich. There were Dominican friars (called blackfriars because of their black costumes). There were also Franciscan or grey friars and Carmelite or white friars. There were also Augustinian friars. There are still streets in Norwich called Blackfriars, Greyfriars, and Whitefriars. Different orders of friars once lived there.

In the Middle Ages, the church ran the only hospitals. The Hospital of St Paul was founded in the early 12th century. Great Hospital was founded in 1249. There were also 6 leper hostels around the town. (This dreadful disease declined in the 15th century and had disappeared by the 16th). In 1272 the monks of the Cathedral Priory provoked a riot when they attempted to charge tolls on the annual fair at Tombland. The rioters burned part of the Priory.

Cow Tower was built in 1278 for collecting tolls. It was rebuilt in 1399. Stone walls were built around Norwich from 1297 to 1334. The Bridewell was built around 1370. From 1583 to 1828 it was used as a prison.

During the Peasants Revolt in 1381, the rebels captured Norwich. They did not hold Norwich for long, however. The bishop mustered an army and the rebels retreated to North Walsham where they were easily defeated. Norwich school was founded in 1316. Also in 1316 Ethelbert Gate, Cathedral Close was built.

In 1404 Norwich was given a new charter and it gained a mayor. The Guildhall was built in 1407. Then in 1420, Sir Thomas Erpingham built Erpingham Gate in Cathedral Close. St Peter Mancroft was built in 1455 and in 1463 a spire was added to Norwich Cathedral. Strangers Hall was built in the mid-15th century. Meanwhile, Julian of Norwich lived in Norwich in the 14th and early 15th century.

NORWICH IN THE 16th CENTURY

In 1500 the population of Norwich was around 10,000 and it was one of the largest towns in England. In 1505 Norwich suffered a severe fire. Two more followed in 1507. (Fire was a constant hazard because most of the buildings were of wood with thatched roofs). The Guildhall was built in 1513. The friaries were closed by Henry VIII in 1539 but some of the hospitals were taken over by the corporation.

In 1549 came Ketts rebellion. Enraged by their treatment by landowners some of the farmers of Norfolk rose in rebellion. They took control of Norwich and camped on Mousehold Heath. The first attempt to crush the rebellion failed.

A small force led by the Marquis of Northampton entered Norwich and fought in the streets but was then forced to withdraw. The government then sent a much larger force under the Earl of Warwick. This time the rebels were driven out of Norwich. They withdrew to Mousehold Heath then to Dussindale. The earl’s men attacked and routed them. Afterward, about 300 rebels were hanged including Kett.

Then in 1579, there was an outbreak of plague, which may have killed 1/3 of the population of the town. However, Norwich soon recovered. In Tudor England, there were always plenty of poor people in the countryside willing to come to the town to look for work.

After 1565 many weavers came to Norwich fleeing religious persecution in what is now Holland and Belgium. They brought their canaries with them. Soon the native people of Norwich adopted rearing canaries as a hobby. By the 18th century Norwich was famous for its canaries and today Norwich football team is nicknamed the Canaries. The weavers may have boosted the population of the town to about 16,000 by the 1580s. In the early 16th century, Norwich seems to have suffered an economic decline but it began to prosper again in the late 16th century.

NORWICH IN THE 17th CENTURY

The population of Norwich rose rapidly in the 17th century and reached about 25,000 in 1700. This was despite outbreaks of plague. It struck twice, in 1625 and again in 1665 but each time the town recovered. Meanwhile, a children’s ‘hospital’ (really an orphanage) was founded in 1621.

During the civil war 1642-46 most of the people of Norwich supported parliament. There was no actual fighting at Norwich during the civil war. However, there was a riot in 1648. The mayor was a royalist and parliament ordered his dismissal. But the mayor was popular and his supporters rioted. They attacked the homes of well-known puritans and then entered the Committee House where gunpowder was stored. Somehow the gunpowder exploded killing some 40 people. Afterward, 8 of the rioters were hanged.

A ‘hospital’ or almshouse for old people was built in Norwich in 1688.

NORWICH IN THE 18th CENTURY

In the 18th century wool manufacture was still the main industry in Norwich. Wool was exported to North America. There were many imports into Norwich including tea, silk, and porcelain from the Far East. Tobacco from North America. Sugar, rum, and mahogany from the West Indies. Fish was brought by ship from Great Yarmouth and coal from Newcastle. Leatherworking was still an important industry in Georgian Norwich. Brewing flourished in this century. In the late 18th century some silk was woven in Norwich.

Meanwhile Bethel Hospital for the mentally ill was built in 1714.

For the well-off life grew more comfortable during the 18th century. The first newspaper in Norwich began publication in 1721. An Assembly House was built in Theatre Street in 1754 where people could play cards and attend balls. The first bank was founded in 1756.

In the years 1791-1801 the gates in Norwich town walls were demolished to ease the flow of traffic. Meanwhile, in 1780 Elizabeth Fry, the prison reformer, was born in Gurney Court in Magdalene Street and in 1797 Nelson gave the city of Norwich the sword owned by a Spanish admiral, which was captured after the battle of Cape St Vincent.

NORWICH IN THE 19th CENTURY

In 1801 Norwich had a population of 36,000. It was still one of the largest towns in Britain but it soon fell behind as towns in the North and the Midlands mushroomed. Nevertheless, Norwich did grow during the 19th century and by 1900 it had a population of over 100,000. In the early and mid 19th century skilled workers built houses at Heigham and around Vauxhall Street. The middle classes built houses along Thorpe Road.

However, like all 19th-century towns, Norwich was dirty, overcrowded, and unsanitary. There were epidemics of smallpox, typhoid, cholera, and diphtheria during the century. In 1819 there were 530 deaths from smallpox.

Nevertheless, there were many improvements to Norwich in the 19th century. In 1804 a dispensary was opened where the poor could obtain free medicines. In 1806 an act of parliament formed a body of men called the Improvement Commissioners who had powers to pave, clean, and light the streets. The first police force in Norwich was formed in 1836.

As early as the 18th century there was a piped water supply in Norwich – for those who could afford it but the water was impure. In the 1850s the council built a pure water supply. In the 1870s they built a network of sewers. After 1877 they began slum clearance.

Life in 19th century Norwich gradually improved. The first public library opened in 1857. Chapelfields was opened as a public park in 1852. The Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich was built in 1884. Mousehold Heath opened as a park in 1886. The Castle Museum opened in 1894. The Royal Arcade was built in 1899. Meanwhile in 1844 Norwich was connected to Yarmouth by train. From 1849 it was connected to London.

During the 19th century wool weaving and silk weaving in Norwich rapidly declined. However, leatherworking boomed. So did brewing. Norwich became famous for boot and shoemaking. In the late 19th century an engineering industry grew up in Norwich and flourished. There was also a mustard-making industry.

NORWICH IN THE 20th CENTURY

From 1900 to 1935 electric trams ran in Norwich but they were replaced by buses. The first cinema in Norwich opened in 1912. James Stuart Garden opened in 1922. Bridewell Museum opened in 1925. A war memorial was erected in 1927. Woodrow Pilling Park opened in 1929. Waterloo Park opened in 1933. The City Hall was built in 1938.

The council built houses on the outskirts of Norwich in the 1920s and 1930s. Many more were built after 1945. They were needed partly because 3,000 houses had been damaged or destroyed by the German bombing.

A new central library was built in 1962 but it burned down in 1994. Norwich University was founded in 1963. The Arts Centre opened in 1977. Anglia Square Shopping Centre opened in 1980. Castle Mall opened in 1993. Riverside Leisure Complex opened in 1999. In the late 20th century the main industries in Norwich were printing, electronics, engineering, and finance. Tourism also became an important industry.

Cathédrale de Norwich

NORWICH IN THE 21st CENTURY

In the 21st century, Norwich is still a thriving city. In 2002 a building called The Forum was opened. It includes the Millennium Library. Then in 2005 Chapelfield Shopping Centre opened. In 2020 the population of Norwich was 148,000.


20th-Century

In the first decade of the 20 th century, the population of Salem, Mass., was more than one-fifth Quebecois and their children. In South Salem’s Little Canada, children attended French schools like Sainte-Chrétienne. They built French churches like Église Sainte-Anne and they started French businesses like St. Pierre’s Garage, Ouellette Construction and Soucy Insurance.

St. Ann’s Church complex, Woonsocket.

Franco-Americans were almost all Roman Catholic, and strict ones at that. They believed that abandoning the French language meant abandoning their religion, and they clung to their language and customs longer than many other immigrant communities. They called it la survivance. Battles often erupted between French parishes and the Irish-dominated parishes over their desire to hire French-speaking priests.


History of Norwich

Norwich is an ancient city that lies at the heart of rural East Anglia. It was the Anglo Saxons who first made their homes beside the river Wensum, and it was from one of these settlements, which bore the name Northwic, that the city got its name. The settlement grew and grew and merged with others to become the largest walled town in medieval England. In 1066, at the time of the Norman Conquest, Norwich was one of the most important boroughs in the kingdom. Trade by river and sea was increasing and light industry had begun to develop. The market on Tombland was thriving with local produce, pottery, ironwork, wooden and leather goods, as well as furs from Scandinavia and Russia, woollen cloth from Flanders and herring from the North Sea.

Norwich Castle was built by the Norman Conquerors as a show of strength. A steep-sided artificial hill was constructed in 1067 which was 40 feet (13 metres) above ground level. Originally the castle was made of wood and was replaced 60 years later by a stone keep, which can still be seen today.

The keep was roughly 70 feet (20 metres) high, with walls about 100 feet (30 metres) long, and was virtually square in shape. It was built of local flint and mortar, and faced with stone.

In 1096 work started on the Cathedral. Churches and Saxon houses were cleared so that a canal could be dug from the River Wensum to the site of the Cathedral. This meant that stone from Caen in Normandy could be brought directly to the building site by water, thus making lighter work. By 1119 the transepts, presbytery and four bays of the nave had been built, but the Cathedral was not finally consecrated until 1278.

By Medieval times Norwich had within its walls 56 churches. Many of these were built as a reflection of wealth of local landowners. In 1194 Norwich became a city when Richard I granted a charter giving rights of self government. 1349 was when The Black Death hit Norwich and it is thought that as many as two-fifths of the population of roughly 6,000 people may have died. With a high proportion of clergy dying, four parish churches fell into disuse because of the lack of priests and parishioners. However, by 1377, Norwich’s population had risen back to 6,000. Many of the new residents were peasants who had left their unproductive homeland to seek work in the city’s growing textile trade. At the beginning of the 14th century, weaving was the most important trade in the city and, within a hundred years, Norwich was considered the main centre of worsted manufacture in the country. This industry continued for the next five hundred years until machinery was introduced during the Industrial Revolution thus making skilled craftsmen redundant.

The Peasants’ Revolt of 1381 meant life at the end of the 14th century was far from peaceful. Armies of rebels set fire to the houses of lawyers and other wealthy folk and it was the bishop, who, with his own army, eventually managed to restore order to the city.

During the early 16th century there were several fires which swept through Norwich, destroying whole streets of thatched and Tudor timbered houses. It is thought that 718 houses were burnt to the ground over a four day period in March 1507, and in June of the same year an additional 360 homes were lost. This was almost half of the city’s housing, which led to a decision that all new buildings should have tiled roofs.

In 1549 an army of 20,000 rebels, led by Wymondham farmer Robert Kett, took over control of the city causing a lot of destruction, they were protesting about an increase in rent and the enclosure of local common land for grazing by rich sheep farmers. They made their camp on Mousehold Heath and it took two royal armies six weeks to defeat them. Kett and forty eight other rebels were hanged at Norwich Castle.

In 1565 there was great concern about the decline in the worsted industry. The city authorities arranged for thirty households of religious refugees to come over from the Netherlands to teach the local craftsmen how to produce different types of cloth. Not only did the ‘Strangers’ (as they were known) bring over their knowledge of weaving, they also brought with them a love of gardens and canary breeding.

By the end of the 16th century the weaving trade was busy and cloth merchants and grocers were making their fortunes. The local gentry could now buy medicines, imported food and fine clothes without travelling to London. Norwich seemed to be prospering again however, according to the mayor, in 1570 about a fifth of the population were living on charity and the city was rife with tramps.

Norwich experienced its last epidemic of Bubonic Plague during 1665-6 this resulted in most of the wealthy citizens leaving Norwich. Unemployment became a serious problem, followed by a severe food shortage in 1666, which was only averted by huge catches of herring which were brought ashore at Great Yarmouth. Agricultural wages in East Anglia were very poor and country life became increasingly difficult this prompted people to move from the country into the city in search of work. The textile industry was recovering from a slump as new interest in fashion meant there were employment opportunities for many. Norwich was now exporting its cloth to Europe, North America, India and China.

By the early 1670’s Norwich had a population of around 21,000 and was probably the largest provincial town in England. Improvements to the main roads and the development of horse-drawn coaches meant that travelling between towns became easier in the 17th and 18th centuries. The gentry of Norfolk and Suffolk would come into Norwich to make purchases and to take part in social events such as card playing and dancing. During the 18th century Norwich’s leather industry steadily grew, making such items as buckets, harnesses, hosepipes, boots and shoes. Brewing also became increasingly important and Norfolk malting barley was considered the best in the country. By 1801 the city had six large breweries, supplying local needs, as well as sending beer to London for sale.

Improvements in local agriculture meant an increased production and a new cattle market grew up around the Castle. Norwich’s first bank was opened in 1756 and it was in 1775 that a local family, John and Henry Gurney, started a bank which still survives today as part of Barclays. It was in 1792 that Thomas Bignold, a wine merchant and banker, started the insurance business which was to become Norwich Union. The prosperity of the 18th century meant there was money to invest in building work. Subsequently the Assembly House was built in 1754, and the old Norfolk and Norwich hospital was constructed in 1771-2.

During the 19th century the population of Norwich increased from 37,256 in 1811 to 80,368 in 1871. The city began to expand beyond its walls and the living conditions were somewhat unhealthy with no supply of clean water there were epidemics of cholera and various other deadly diseases. This improved when a new waterworks was built which provided filtered water, and generally people’s awareness of public health increased.

Norwich originally had three railway stations, but only Thorpe Station, which was opened in 1844, remains today. The meadow land around Thorpe Station soon became crowded with houses and hotels for the railway workers, and factories were built beside the river to take advantage of water and rail transportation. Professional people began building their homes outside the city walls, as the city centre was becoming overcrowded. The area between Ber Street and King Street was particularly over-populated with slum housing. In 1892 work began on the church of St John the Baptist, which was later to become the Roman Catholic Cathedral.

It was in the 19th century that Jeremiah Colman built a new mustard mill at Carrow, A.J Caley began making chocolates at Chapelfield and John Jarrold opened his printing works at Whitefriars.

During the 20th century the city’s population increased from 121,490 in 1911 to an estimated 180,000 in 1980. Re-housing schemes and slum clearance began in the late 19th century and continued for many years, with council houses providing improved living conditions for thousands of people. In 1900 an extensive tram system meant that people could travel cheaply throughout the city, and it ran for thirty years. By the 1920’s the Guildhall, which had been the civic headquarters for over five hundred years, was now too small. The decision was made to build a new city hall, which was opened by George VI in October 1938.

Norwich was bombed more than forty times during the Second World War, and was selected for two of the Baedeker raids in which historic buildings were targeted in excess of 30,000 houses were damaged, 100 factories, as well as seven medieval churches and numerous shops, were destroyed. Rebuilding started in the 1950’s and the central library was built in 1963, with the University of East Anglia (UEA) taking its first students in that same year.

In the early 1990’s the site of the old cattle market was excavated to house the Castle Mall shopping centre, an innovative scheme, built on several levels, using the medieval street patterns and linking the east and west sides of the city centre.


History of Railroad Line Serving Webster, Massachusetts

Oct 02, 2018 #1 2018-10-02T13:18

I am trying to gather some historical information on a passenger railway that operated in the late 1960s. It ran periodically from New London, CT to Webster, Massachusetts, including several other stops along the route and terminated, I believe, in Worcester, Massachusetts. I am specifically interested learning:

- Years during which it operated
- Passenger stations along the line
- Reasons why the service terminated

Finding photos of the trains that ran on that line, or any pictures of the Webster, MA station during that era would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Oct 03, 2018 #2 2018-10-04T00:25

I don't know if this issue answers all your questions, but it appears Shoreliner Volume 21 Issue 2 included an extensive article on Webster, plus companion articles:

  • "Webster, on the Norwich & Worcester Branch" -- The history of the rail lines serving Webster, MA. 24 pages with photos (some color including the front cover and centerspread) and maps.
  • "The Southern New England -- 'The Old Grand Trunk'" -- The story of the Grand Trunk Railway's planned line between it's subsidiary Central Vermont line in Palmer, MA, and waterfront facilities in Providence, RI. Includes construction photos in Webster and Southbridge. 6 pages with photos and maps.
  • "Trolley Stop: The Street Railways of Webster" -- The history of trolley service in and about Webster, MA. 4 pages with photos and map.

Oct 03, 2018 #3 2018-10-04T02:13

Thanks Bill!
Sounds like that's exactly what I need. I'll order it right away!

Oct 04, 2018 #4 2018-10-04T09:50

Oct 04, 2018 #5 2018-10-04T13:20

S7ajrwgWYGoG93LXUH3jIk672fQxFUA5mTe8CNTkzJtxg6Behx6mAeS6ueFOLcPvwFAn2HdQrGDLnIEWg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJS72YROXJYGYDADA" />

Oct 04, 2018 #6 2018-10-04T13:52

Go to the NHRHTA home page http://www.nhrhta.org/ on the right is a column of links , scroll down and click on MAP OF THE NEW HAVEN RR/NHRHTA PUBLICATIONS BY LINE then on the new page click on the Map Link A larger map of the New Haven Railroad, from a 1929 train schedule, can also be viewed. This will bring up a map that allows you click a location that will list all NHRHTA publications and Shoreliners that have material on that location,in your case click on Webster..There is a long list of links you can look through on the page that the map link is on. There is also a link to the page that list all currently available back issues it is the publications sale page.
The Budd car service started around 1952 for a year or 2 the service was 3 round trips Worcester New London . The service was cut back to 2 round trips for the remainder of the time until Amtrak which did not chose to keep this service running.
I watched and heard these trains many time in the 1950s and 1960s as it operated through Oxford Mass many times as a young railfan. I also remember my parents taking the Budd Car to New York and back to Webster about 1960.
Ron High

If you find an issue you want is not available post a request on the forum you may find someone that can help you.


Stagecoach Inn

The Stagecoach Inn, a fitting name for one of Vermont’s old stagecoach stops.

At the start of the 19th century, ancient footpaths connected Burlington and Montpelier in Vermont. In 1805, the 36-mile Winooski Turnpike along the Winooski River was chartered to connect the two major towns.

The old Winooski Turnpike turned into U.S. Route 2, the main highway connecting the White Mountains to the Adirondacks. It cuts through Waterbury, the town where Ben and Jerry’s make their ice cream.

In 1826 either a Mr. Parmalee or a lawyer named Dan Carpenter had a structure built on the corner of the Winooski Turnpike and what is now Route 100. The building served as a tavern and inn for travelers and as a meeting place for locals.

By the mid-1800s, a farming family named the Henrys owned the inn. Their eccentric daughter Nettie married an Ohio rubber baron, Albert Spencer. Nettie smoked cigarettes, chewed tobacco and wore a celluloid eyeshade. She expanded and improved the old family house in Queen Anne Style.

Nettie Spencer died in 1947. The home was later run as a rooming house and fell into disrepair. A young couple from Boston bought the property in 1985 and rebuilt the house. Today it’s the Old Stagecoach Inn, a historic bed-and-breakfast in the center of downtown Waterbury.

For more information about the Stagecoach Inn click here.

This story about New England stagecoach stops was updated in 2020. If you enjoyed this story, you may also want to read about six Revolutionary taverns here.


Voir la vidéo: 50 Cent - Wanksta Official Music Video